Injured Canada Goose. What should I do?

Pics
Hey, Heather. I saw your tag and sorry I didn't get to this before now. I agree with @Goosebaby that it's unlikely it will survive while missing so much of its bill. ☹️
Of course, it has a chance if you're actively feeding it. I just wonder what it's chances are for the future if they stop coming to you.

Carolina Waterfowl Rescue was going to take the goose if I captured and transported it to them and I was fully prepared. I moved my clients around so I had the day off. Unfortunately, the little one hasn't been back. I have spent a lot of time with the geese that have shown up and I can't find one of the usual families that's missing a member. I've counted all 18 juveniles, so this one must be a friend or something. There are A LOT of geese in the gated community (so many that they've taken measures to reduce the population on a regular basis) so only a few come here, even though it seems like a lot of geese (18 juveniles + 10 parents + 5 or so extras, give or take). I'm hopeful the Goose will show up each day. If the Goose shows up, the plan is to capture it and let CWR know that I'm bringing it in. I wasn't looking forward to upsetting the geese. I knew that they probably wouldn't come back if I captured one of them and that was hard on my heart. I felt like they wouldn't trust me again and to be honest, that hurt worse than I will admit. But there is no way that I'd let this one starve for my benefit. I'm hoping to find it before it's too late.

@NanaK It's so crazy that you asked about that goose. It showed up today, believe it or not. This is the first time I've seen it since I posted about it here. It seems to be getting along fine but that wing..... Oh my, it's pitiful! The Goose had to run from a parent and that wing just hangs there, completely unusable. It has blood flow because it's been molting and I was able to see new wing feathers coming in. It just made my stomach sink seeing the wing hanging there and bouncing a bit as it ran. Wild birds have such lovely lives, but it seems like it's either amazing or they've got something going on that places a target on their backs 😢
20220702_114233.jpg

I'm starting to worry a bit about Gooslyn. I haven't seen him in a while, but parents are always so aggressive so hopefully he's just steering clear of anyone with babies.

I wonder if it's possible for the wing to be dislocated or something that can be fixed. My first thought was this wing needs to come off, but with it being a wild goose, it's probably better off left as is. Maybe I'm wrong though. I don't know if CWR would encourage me to bring it in since they have so many birds. I know they wouldn't turn it away, but I wouldn't want to cause that much stress if the bird is getting along fine otherwise.

I wonder if it's possible for the wing to be dislocated or something that can be fixed. My first thought was this wing needs to come off, but with it being a wild goose, it's probably better off left as is. Maybe I'm wrong though. I don't know if CWR would encourage me to bring it in since they have so many birds. I know they wouldn't turn it away, but I wouldn't want to cause that much stress if the bird is getting along fine otherwise.
Well, it definitely can’t fly, which is a huge hindrance in the wild. But, angel wing (which also stops geese from being able to fly) is relatively common, so wild geese can survive without being able to fly. I guess whether this one does ok depends on if it has year round access to a safe pond/lake and enough food to last through winter.

Maybe send them a picture and ask for advice?
That's a good idea. Thank you 💜 It might be a while before "Winnie" (for wing injury) comes back but at least I'll know what to do if she does come back. I really hate that I didn't get a picture of the Goose with the missing bill. I think I was so shocked that it just slipped my mind. Maybe if I get pictures together of all of the geese with injuries, they could find someone local to help. I know that wouldn't be easy but I won't know unless I try. Gotta start somewhere. Buddy, the Goose with the side of the web and part of the outer toe gone, was here not too long ago. I figured something had got him but he was doing well. They must have snapping turtles in those lakes.

Well, it definitely can’t fly, which is a huge hindrance in the wild. But, angel wing (which also stops geese from being able to fly) is relatively common, so wild geese can survive without being able to fly. I guess whether this one does ok depends on if it has year round access to a safe pond/lake and enough food to last through winter.
Edited because I misunderstood and you weren't saying Winnie had AW. My apologies for misunderstanding 😊

Oh yes, these are residential geese. They hang out on the lakes across the road year round. I feel like Winnie might have been hit by a car for some reason, but I'm thankful
She's not worse. The only natural wing/tail issues I've seen in these birds is a small but adorable Gander that hatched last year with wry tail. Of course I could be wrong about Winnie and maybe it is angel wing. It looks nothing like my Call or Aztec with angel wing but they are ducks so I could be way off.

Poor little guys. The one with the wing issue probably has either a pellet (from hunting) lodged in between some bones or tissue, or it was fractured and probably healed wrong towards the end of the wing. The way she's holding it suggests an injury in the radius ulna area. If it is it would need to be amputated, but if it is past those two bones just enough it's an easy procedure. She would obviously never be able to fly like that. So as long as she has food/water year round she has a chance, but if a predator finds her that will be it.
I hope you find the sweet baby with the bill injury. He's going to struggle badly in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom