Injured Canada Goose. What should I do?

Pics
Two more goslings (with their parents) have been coming here for the past 3 days now. They look to be about a week old, maybe just over a week. They grow so fast! So there are 15 goslings that visit daily and they are such sweet babies! Hearing their screams of excitement and watching them take off running over for food whenever they see me makes my day. I can easily see how Canada Geese are so over populated now, but I absolutely love everything about these geese!
The gosling that was attacked couldn't be pointed out by anyone anymore as he's feathering in and has fully recovered. I only know which one it is because they're the oldest and they look to be a pair. His hatchmate is much more feminine. Here's a picture of him showing his neck and face where the wounds were 💜
20220523_090943.jpg

This is a first for me. Looks like it's been like this for a while. I didn't see this one come in but it does seem to be staying somewhat close to the family units with goslings, so it probably walked over. Of course the parents aren't letting it hang out too close. It's pitiful. Hopefully these screeching hawks don't attack it. Maybe a broken wing? I don't think I've ever seen angel wing or slipped wing in the wild and although there are some similarities, this looks different. On another note, there is a young Gander here with wry tail.

@Goosebaby

anyone got any ideas? I imagine treatment isn't possible unless it can be done quickly and I'm assuming that's not the case. So this is for informational purposes to fill this curious mind ☺️

20220528_101246.jpg

Maybe it got bumped by a car? poor thing won't be able to fly. Do you have a waterfowl rescue close? they might take it and treat.
That's a possibility. I *think* it's a goose and with her trying to stay so close to the other families, I wonder if she had goslings that were injured and taken in by someone or were killed. These geese stay here year round but they're only land bound whenever they have goslings so being able to fly seems pretty important. It's always so difficult trying to decide what's best for a wild animal.

If you can get a rescue to take her they hopefully can rehabilitate her so she can be released. It’s sad to think someone may have hurt her and possibly taken her goslings. :(
The only waterfowl rescue nearby is Carolina Waterfowl Rescue and they're not necessarily nearby. I believe they're about 3 hours away. Family had the sawmill up and operating yesterday and that scared most of the geese off 😢 I'm keeping an eye out for her today. She doesn't act like the geese that visit here on a regular basis. She was very fearful and didn't want to eat. I kept hoping she'd spread her wings wide open to flap and readjust and voilá, that would be the end of it. Sadly it seems something else is going on. Hopefully I'll see her today.

The only waterfowl rescue nearby is Carolina Waterfowl Rescue and they're not necessarily nearby. I believe they're about 3 hours away. Family had the sawmill up and operating yesterday and that scared most of the geese off 😢 I'm keeping an eye out for her today. She doesn't act like the geese that visit here on a regular basis. She was very fearful and didn't want to eat. I kept hoping she'd spread her wings wide open to flap and readjust and voilá, that would be the end of it. Sadly it seems something else is going on. Hopefully I'll see her today.
Ugg, Carolina Waterfowl Rescue is near Charlotte? That is over 200 miles for me. I looked briefly online for something east of I95, was willing to help you tag-team a ride for her if necessary. Everything I see anywhere close to me is mammal rescues. Can't believe nothing along the coast for birds! :barnie
I wonder if you call Carolina rescue they could give advice, assuming she comes back? I would think if she can't fly she would still be around hiding somewhere. I really hope things work out for her. Such a beautiful animal. :fl

Ugg, Carolina Waterfowl Rescue is near Charlotte? That is over 200 miles for me. I looked briefly online for something east of I95, was willing to help you tag-team a ride for her if necessary. Everything I see anywhere close to me is mammal rescues. Can't believe nothing along the coast for birds! :barnie
I wonder if you call Carolina rescue they could give advice, assuming she comes back? I would think if she can't fly she would still be around hiding somewhere. I really hope things work out for her. Such a beautiful animal. :fl
That is so incredibly kind of you to even consider. Wow! You really touched my heart. Not many people would consider it, but yes it's a long drive for us & even more so for a wild animal. That's why I always think long and hard on this. I tried contacting some rehabbers about some of these injured geese but they always tell me to contact CWF. I didn't see her today anyway, so I suspect she walked back across the road to the gated community where the geese sleep on the large lakes. I worried the babies wouldn't be back after the sawmill ruckus but they came to eat today although a little later than normal. Miss Goose didn't follow them. I received an invitation to join the gated community on the "Next Door" app. From what I've seen so far, they seem to be chatty on this app. If I don't see Miss Goose tomorrow, I think I'll post on this app about her. Only problem is the other people will figure out I'm the lady with the big mouth roosters 😂 (They really are mouthy boys and I've got several but they're my pets) It's not a problem since I don't live in the community but I imagine my boys and I have come up at some HOA meetings ☺️
Thanks again for even thinking about that. That was so kind of you. I think it's even farther away for you than it is me 😕 But I seriously appreciate you looking into it and the time you invested into trying to help 💜

Back
Top Bottom