Injured chick - advice? (picture included)

pidgey

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 20, 2011
I need some advice on a 13 week old with a head wound - my first chicken tragedy. I'm not sure if it was a rat or another chicken - I put her and her sister in with the big girls (and banty roo) and until this happened they were really good at dodging the adult chickens and hiding if they were being bullied. Now she won't explore anymore if the big chickens are in the yard - not sure if this is from being injured in general or if they hurt her. The same day I found her like this (Sunday), I found her sibling in pieces outside the coop.

The first day I swabbed some hydrogen peroxide on it, spritzed it with colloidal silver, and smeared some neosporin on it. Since then I've been putting neosporin on it once a day, and she seems to be struggling more and more when I try to treat her. Does that mean it hurts more, or is she just annoyed that all I want to do is poke her wound? She seems to be acting normal otherwise, besides being a little less chatty (she doesn't have a friend to talk to). I keep her in a dog carrier when I'm not around, when I let her out she scratches around in the dirt and jumps up on things and all that other chickeny stuff. She seems to have a good appetite.

So I'm not sure what I should do for her from here. Is just neosporin fine? How long do I need to be treating her with it? Someone recommended Wonder Dust (wound stuff for horses), but I was looking at it and wasn't sure if this is the kind of wound it's for. Should I irrigate it daily (hydrogen peroxide? betadine?)? Is it ok without a bandage? I think it looks better than yesterday, but I don't have any experience with chicken wounds so I don't know what better is. Someone also told me I should give her baby ibuprofen if she's acting like she's in pain, but she only acts in pain when I try to touch her head. Should I cut the feathers that are touching the wound or do they protect it?

Also, how soon before she can be around other chickens? She seems so lonely.

111019-pidgey-wound.jpg

(The bottom edge sort of gapes open when she moves certain ways, but there's no more bleeding.)

I use vitaminD ointment for wounds, works for me. Give her some time.
As long as she has a wound the others will pick at her.

I would just keeping using the neosporin daily as long as she seems perky and the wound continues healing. When applying it, gently work the feathers out of the healing area so they don't keep the wound open. Hydrogen peroxide is only for the first day, as it can kill tissue and interfere with healing with repeated use. Chickens heal skin wounds amazing fast. Sounds like you're doing a good job! I would just give supportive care with some vitamins or apple cider vinegar in the water (2 tbsp per gallon of water), and maybe some hard-boiled egg for extra protein.

Just be very careful when reintroducing her to the other chickens... make sure she is completely healed, have them able to see each other but not touch for a few days, and then I would put them together at night, in the dark, so they wake up in the coop together. Hope this helps!
big_smile.png

What your doing is helping, but I prefer the wound-kote spray that is found at farm stores for horses. Its blue-kote in aresol spray, dries fast, covers the bloody spot, and you dont have to directly touch the wound to apply. Try it for her comfort
big_smile.png

This looks like a chicken vs chicken injury. I have seen this a couple of times. All of mine (one much worse than yours) have fully recovered. I am guessing about 4 weeks for that wound to heal. Regrowing feathers will be a bit longer. Just continue using the Neosporin. I always start out twice daily until it scabs over well and then reduce to once daily. You can add some scrambled egg (with yogurt if you have it) to give her a protein boost. I would keep her separated until the wound is closed and scab falls off. Apply Blu Kote if the others try to peck the bald area when you re-introduce her. (I have never needed to use the Blu Kote myself but I know others do.)
smile.png

You are going to have to try to figure out why this happened. Lack of protein or space is often the cause. Increase both and you problem may be solved. Otherwise you are going to have to try to find the bully.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Since then I've been putting neosporin on it once a day, and she seems to be struggling more and more when I try to treat her. Does that mean it hurts more, or is she just annoyed that all I want to do is poke her wound?

I would guess its because she knows what's coming now...and that wound definitely still hurts.

Wonder powder would work on it I think.​

Thanks, everyone. It's reassuring to hear that I've been doing the right thing.

Quote:
Someone in another thread mentioned a similar wound sounded like an overzealous rooster, and I'm wondering if that's the problem. There's a young bantam in the coop and I'm wondering if he jumped the pullet because the adults are too big and won't let him mount them. One of the adults had a similar (but less gross) wound but she has conflicts with another bird kicking her out of the nest box so I assumed it was from that. Also, I've seen two of the adults chase her and since this is my first time introducing new birds, I don't know what's normal establishing pecking order behavior. I think I'm going to keep her away from them until she can stick up for herself.

I have a little bit over 100 sq ft for seven birds (including the injured one). The person I'm sharing a coop with says it could fit another few birds, but I'm wondering if space is part of the issue. There is definitely argument over the nest box (a large plastic doghouse), but I tried putting in another spot for laying and the girls ignore it pretty much completely.

Here's how the wound's progressed - is it scabby enough to stop the neosporin? Is it too late to try wonder dust?

IMG_20111022_130051.jpg

If its all scabbed up, there's no need to put wonder powder on it. Its designed to dry wounds up so it won't have any effect on that scab.

It looks like its healing pretty well.

It looks good. It may even heal faster than I thought. Just keep applying the Neosporin. You can use a washcloth and warm water to dab the area clean if she gets dirty. The scab may crack and fall off and then be replaced a couple of times before the new skin is fully formed. Just watch for pockets of puss, bad smell, or changes in behavior as these may indicate infection. I see no reason to be concerned at this point though.

This is my injured bird story. There are pics later in the thread. He is now the Don Juan of my coop.
tongue.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=501351

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom