Gonna have to cull :( *UPDATE: Amazing recovery *Graphic pics Post #82

BrattishTaz

Roo Magnet
9 Years
Jan 8, 2011
Tampa Area, Florida
Ok, I'm not really needing advice as much as some support. One of my 9 or 10 weeks old Australorp chicks has been badly injured. I think my daughter's white orp chicks are to blame. They have done this before.
sad.png
I hadn't had any problems since I put my adult roo in with the chicks, he does not allow much fighting. Today I decided to give them (and my roo) a break from each other.
he.gif
Apparently that was not a good idea.

I noticed a chick was missing during one of the daily head counts. I found it standing in the brooder (it works as a coop for older chicks) alone and in shock. It has swollen eyes, no skin on it's neck, and a torn wattle. I have given it a warm bath and applied topical antibiotic cream. I got a couple of drops of gatoraid down it but not very much. I will give it a few hours to see if it comes around but I seriously doubt I can save it. It is wrapped in a warm towel sleeping peacefully at the moment.

This will be the oldest bird I have ever culled. I can handle "taking care" of the really small ones when necessary although it has been many years since I have had to do it. This is going to be tough.
hit.gif

UPDATE: Pics in post #82

Last edited:
so sorry to hear that but I would give it more than a few hours id give it atleat 24 I had a barred rock hen that got attacked by a doxie and its leg was badly hurt in shock and bleeding I really thought she would die but I put her in a dark room with food and water and the next morning I figured she would be gone and she was standing there although the bandage prevented weight from being placed on it she was up moving around
smile.png
GOOD LUCK

Aw crap. Sorry to hear it.

Now, I am not a bleeding heart by any means, so don't get the wrong idea. (okay, maybe I am) I had a hen that got her back torn open by a dog. The hole was down to the muscle, bigger than my hand. I flushed it gently with heavily diluted Betadine, packed it with Neosporin without Lidocaine. Then I started injecting her with Pen-G, from TSC. She is a big hen, I *think* it was 1/4 cc twice a day, alternating sides of the breast. I think that was for 5 days, wish I had written it down.

It took her a couple days to start eating, she was in shock at first. She is now a happy, healthy hen, laying every day. I was amazed at how the hole in her skin literally grew back over the big hole. Give her a couple more days, best of luck to you both.

Quote:
I am still open to giving it a little more time IF it does not show more signs of pain or distress. Honestly, I have been able to bring birds back from some pretty horrific injuries but this one is different. I will re-evaluate hourly and make my final decision based on the what I think is best for the chick. This just sucks!

I hope she will be okay! I don't know what I would do if I had to put one of my sweet Australorps down at this age. They are 10 weeks old, and each is dear to me. Australorps are tough birds! Give her a chance!

If he doesn't look like he is in serious pain, then I would give him a little more time. Just make sure he is comfortable and keep the gashes clean. If it's obvious he is in serious pain then the kindest thing to do is cull. So sorry
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom