Injured chick, improvised hospital

heatherkh

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
Clackamas, Oregon
Hi all. Today I found one of our week old chicks (being raised by broody momma) had somehow injured a toe. It appears as if it got caught in something and the toenail is gone and some of the skin on the bottom of the foot is torn. I was able to clean itand stop the bleeding. I applied some wound antiseptic, but at this point am unable to bandage it. My plan is to pick up some blue kote tomorrow, clean it again, use the blue kote and get the chick back out to the momma ASAP. Chick doesn't appear to be favoring the leg at all, and is moving around just fine.

Because these chicks are being raised by momma, we don't have a proper brooder. I put a towel down in a plastic bin, attached a clamp light with a 100 watt bulb to it, and gave the chick crumble, water, yogurt/crushed cat kibble. I also cut a piece off of a feather boa and put it in there as a momma substitute. Chick seems just fine - we went out for a while and when I cam back it had nestled down in the feather boa underneath the lamp. It's inside, so ambient temp is mild. Do you think the chick will be fine down there overnight?

And will the blue kote keep the other chicks from pecking at her wound??Before I was able to rescue her, the other chicks noticed the blood and went right after it. Thanks!!

Last edited:
that sounds like a good set up for her the feather boa was a good idea

she probably doesn't really need kitty kibble if she has chick crumble, but chicky probably wont complain about that

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, the kitty kibble is probably overkill, I just wanted to make she it was eating. Every time I go check, it looks happy as a clam, chirping merrily. Doesn't seem too bothered. I just feel bad it isn't with mom!

Back
Top Bottom