Injured chick

ChickenLayD

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2016
I have a broody mom with two babies. One of her babies fell from their nest that is about 2 and a half feet from the ground. I wasn't there when it happened but she must have been attacked by a group of other hens. She seems to be in pretty bad shape. We are feeding her through a dropper. Does anyone have any advice on what we can do to help her?

Attachments

• IMG_20170611_124454.jpg
    IMG_20170611_124454.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 38
poor thing! how is she currently?
She is in the same condition. I just looked under her wing and there is a huge bubble that looks like it's filled with fluid. There is also a big red dot in the bubble that looks like broken blood vessels. I have no idea what to do.

Sorry for your sadness.
The best you can do is keep the chick hydrated.
If she makes it is hydration the important factor.
When she makes it I would:
Do thi
(A) Take 1 tbsp. of dry crumbles
(B) 1/8 tsp of dry flax seen Meal {kind humans use)
(c) 2 tbsp. of plain water add to mix.
NOW:
(C) take small amt say 1 tsp of yougart and mix .

(1)add 1-400 mg Vit E (take the Vit E capsule and cut end off and put in WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE you are making for her.

(2) now take a Vit B Complex tablet and crush in tbsp. and then add small drops of water to dissolce and put in wet mash

(3) Take a Selenium tblet and crush in tbsp. and add few drops water to dissolve and put in wet mash.

(4) Now this is important to get the chick to eat take a tsp of Apple Sauce and spread over mixture that has water added to make a little less than cookie dough consistency.

(5) you may have to introduce the wet mash probiotic recipe to the chick by taking a small tsp and filling with mixture and put to its beak.

(6) slowly but surely you can do this and it does work I have done it.

Hope this leps you with the injured chick.

She is in the same condition. I just looked under her wing and there is a huge bubble that looks like it's filled with fluid. There is also a big red dot in the bubble that looks like broken blood vessels. I have no idea what to do.
Sounds like it might have a ruptured air sac maybe?

Sounds like it might have a ruptured air sac maybe?
I'm researching ruptured air sacs. Seems like that may be it. The bubble is translucent just like what I'm reading. I'm going to go against my instincts and try to empty the air with a needle.

I'm researching ruptured air sacs. Seems like that may be it. The bubble is translucent just like what I'm reading. I'm going to go against my instincts and try to empty the air with a needle.
Google "subcutaneous emphysema casportpony", I think I did a thread on it.

Back
Top Bottom