Injured Chick

CoalLucker

Chirping
Jul 18, 2016
Indiana
I have a chick that has an injury on her wing and kind of on her back that wasn't there yesterday. I just now noticed it. It could've been one of the bigger chickens but it would've had to happen last night when they were going up for the night. Any advice?
IMG_2272.JPG IMG_2273.JPG

You are calling them chicks. How old are they? They look like pullets at the least? Do you have a rooster? Looks Like a rooster might could have done that?

You are calling them chicks. How old are they? They look like pullets at the least? Do you have a rooster? Looks Like a rooster might could have done that?
They're like 2 months old and I just call her a chick until she's full grown No rooster, just other laying hens

Pecking...How big is your coop and how much room do they have?....Crowding is #1 cause of pecking so lets rule that out first....
The coop they're in is big enough for 6 plus a run that two to two and a half sizes of the coop with lots to do. So they aren't getting bored either. At the moment in that coop is the 'chick' and the mama and 2 other grown chickens

The coop they're in is big enough for 6 plus a run that two to two and a half sizes of the coop with lots to do. So they aren't getting bored either. At the moment in that coop is the 'chick' and the mama and 2 other grown chickens

I'm not sure if I understand how much space this is....can you post some photos?
Do you have photos of your pullets (your chicks)?

From the photo you posted, it looks like she is being plucked. Keep watch on your girls to see if there is 1 that is the offender, if so, then put her in jail. Picking notoriously happen more at dusk when chickens are jockying for roosting positions - observe their behavior during this time as well.

For the wounds, you can apply a little Blu Kote to help hide the injury.

Back
Top Bottom