Injured Chick

MyNameIs86

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
New Jersey
I noticed tonight that one of my chicks is injured... I don't know if it was from hatching but i noticed a red blood vein running from the top of the leg to one of the toes on the injured leg. my mom who had chicks when she was a kid said don't worry too much as it will heal itself? I'm just iffy. the chick won't put presser on the leg and would stand on the good leg and lay down. it's like to the side a bit.

So i emptied another plastic bin, and put 5 chicks in the smaller bin to make it less crowded in the box of 12. I think it might have gotten too rowdy in the box and so i am sharing the heating pad and the heating light between the two boxes. both boxes have plenty of space away from the heat if they so desire to.

Last edited:

azygous

Enabler
11 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
A photo of the injured leg would be helpful.

If it were just a superficial injury that will heal by itself, this chick wouldn't be reluctant to put its weight on that leg. It sounds like a serious injury or birth defect. It could be a ruptured tendon.

Steps should be taken to diagnose and properly treat whatever condition it happens to be or the chick may grow up lame.

azygous

Enabler
11 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
Unfortunately, those pics aren't much help. I can barely see the red "vein" you spoke of. If the chick is using the leg, perhaps it's just a temporary injury and will get better. The chick should show signs of improvement each day. If it shows signs of becoming worse, then try to get a closeup shot of the bad leg and the red vein. Then post on the Emergencies and Disease forum. Someone there could maybe diagnose it and tell you what to do for it.

Drewnkat

Songster
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
Georgia
It looks to me like it could possibly be curled toes. The Chicken Chick has a great article with photos of what it looks like, and ways to help "splint" the foot until the chicken grows a bit.

It may not be that, but hey, it can't hurt to read up on it and see if anything looks helpful. I hope your chick feels better soon!

Top Bottom