injured chicken adn no vet available

Can someone recommend the dosage for aspirin and how to administer??

I have a hen that was injured a few days ago either by the rooster or by another animal, I was not outside at the time. She seems to be doing ok- eating, drinking, but she does not want to use her wing or hop up on the perch to roost at night.

I've been watching her, but I feel like there should be more I am doing. Her wounds (3 small punctures) have scabbed over and I do not see any sign of infection. I have not opened the wounds to clean them as I did not want to make it worse.

This is my first issue with an injury, any ideas would be incredibly helpful!

Aspirin can be given at a dose of 25 mg per pound of weight. Or approximately one baby aspirin per 3 pounds. I recently was treating a hen with an injured leg, she was given one baby aspirin morning and evening. We crush it and put it in a needless syringe, put the plunger in and then draw up a couple cc's of water or buttermilk, leave plenty of space in the syringe to shake it well and dissolve it then administer orally.

Thank you! I will honestly feel much better knowing I've done what I can to appease her pain at least a little bit. :)

Back
Top Bottom