1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured chicken, fixed leg but won't eat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nt05, Jan 20, 2016.

1. nt05

nt05 New Egg

Aug 25, 2015
    I have a chicken that I found trapped a couple of days ago. She seemed in pretty bad shape but after I fixed up her leg she is now able to stand on it. The problem is she won't hardly eat or drink. I saw her eat a little bit this morning but haven't gotten her to eat anymore. I know chickens are social birds and we have been giving her attention but she is separated from her sisters. Maybe she is lonely? Is that even a thing?

2. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    yes it's a thing.

If she is eating a little that is great, and you can always get her to eat more with delicious things like meal worms. If she is not getting any worse, then she's probably mending slowly which is great.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. If she won't eat, then you can try bringing her together for visitation with the other chickens to see if she will eat with them. When she is separated , offer her wet chicken feed, chopped egg, canned tuna, and sunflower kernels. Placng her in a pen inside the coop with food and water with the other chickens is something to try.

4. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Chickens are flock birds. Put a friend in with her one lower on the pecking order from her. Make sure that they both have room to eat and drink at the same time. Giving her a friend and giving her a bit of competition might get her eating and drinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by