injured chicken in shock

zenstarling

Songster
Jan 17, 2022
Connecticut
this morning I rolled my chickens to a new spot in their wood frame tractor, when I heard a squabble in the back so I set it down thinking they got caught up and needed a pause. then I looked down and saw one of my EE’s was down wings splayed out and had her head crushed under the frame. I lifted it up panicked. she got up and walked on her own but her wound is gaping open. her beak was open panting. she was able to walk around seemingly ok, but does seem to be in shock.

she is in the run alone, the other girls are out in the tractor. she is nestled under the coop sitting puffed up and still, and just when I checked now she has her head tucked into her wing sleeping.

I am setting up my mesh tent chick brooder in my garage to separate her from the others when they return to the run later.

aside from treating for shock, is there anything I should do for the wound? will it heal wide open like that? this is my daughter’s favorite chicken and she’s afraid she’s going to die. of course I feel TERRIBLE that I did this to her myself. even though she “seems” ok, I’m afraid she’s damaged more than is apparent given this heavy wood frame crushed her head.

thanks guys
66A5A803-B121-4BE6-9180-833F6B76DC37.jpeg
E83FE1D9-58BD-4399-8E68-FA5EEBD262BD.jpeg
53D1CD4F-B888-4B96-9E6A-F06D86C9DB11.jpeg

Poor girl!
She's a pretty hen.

I hope this finds she's improving.
Yes, I agree with you, do treat her for shock. Encourage her to drink, you can give electrolytes, a little sugar water or just plain water if that's what you have.

For her wound, I'd clean it with saline, vetericyn or chlorhexidine. You can trim the feathers away from the wound so the feathers don't stick in it, then apply a little triple antibiotic ointment.

When you can, get some vitamins started. I'd give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a treat of egg. E and B1 can help with injuries, especially those that may result in some neurological symptoms. Since her head was caught, she will be sore and hopefully the vitamins will begin to give support to the muscles, neck and head.

:hugsAccidents happen and it sure doesn't feel good. Several years ago I didn't catch a heavy door and it slammed on one of my hen's neck. I thought I had killed her, but she recovered, and it turned out o.k., so be hopeful and do the best you can.

thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. it’s good to know when we’re stressed that we aren’t the only ones making mistakes! 🫣

she did well recovering overnight, and the gash sealed up and scabbed over. this morning she was alert and active and seemingly dong really well. we reintroduced her to outside for a time alone in the run, where she ate and scratched around a bit. she was looking longingly at the rest of the flock pacing, so we let her rejoin them with supervision. it went really well, they’ve had a peaceful day without conflict. she’s been active and energetic, scratching, foraging and eating, preening and twisting her neck all sorts of ways to reach her feathers so I’m assuming it means she’s not in any major pain. I’m really happy to see it, as I’ve been afraid I caused some major damage to her that’s not totally obvious. if not, I have no idea how she escaped it, but I’ll take it. will be watching her closely.

I really appreciate the vitamin recommendations. I have some B complex I will give her and I’ll get some E next errands I do. thank you again, this was very reassuring to read this morning.
BB1879AB-C70D-43D4-AD53-6DFF775CD3B9.jpeg
6521EBC2-DD95-4670-A04D-1611675649E7.jpeg
4C6C80F2-7EAE-4E20-8190-39951E6637AE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom