Injured chicken slow to recover

velizhanna

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2022
New Mexico, USA
Hi All!
I'm hoping to hear some ideas and thoughts from you chicken experts on what may be going and what I can expect.
I have a 12wk old Barred Rock chicken that was (most likely) physically injured a week ago. I don't see any terrible wounds but she doesn't want to move, eat or drink. Here's timeline:
Last Saturday: we noticed that she had a bit of blood on her comb, and was standing around, puffed up, not active like the other chickens. One of the other chickens also seemed to have a bit of blood on her comb but she seemed fine otherwise and is still fine now, a week later.
We isolated the barred rock and brought her inside, set her up in a dog crate with food&water. Her eyes were clear, no discharge from eyes or nose, no sneezing/wheezing/coughing, pooping normally, and was drinking and eating at least some. She was also aknowledging us with a soft squak when we came by to check on her. But she was mostly just sitting down.

Sunday&Monday: she was still pooping solid poops. I tried to examine her and found a wound in her left side, but it didn't seem all that bad. It had some dried up blood around it, but not enough that it ever dripped or even got on top of the feathers. And it doesn't look big or deep. I had suspected an air sac rupture and I found what seemed to be a bubble under her skin, but again - nothing awful. She's mostly breathing normally, with an occasional labored breath or sigh.
We had some really cold nights and with the chickens not being fully grown yet, I was worried about them getting cold so I had set up a blanket tent of sorts inside of the coop and I'm guessing the blanket may have shifted and they got freaked out and she may have flown into the roosting bar or something?

Since last Monday though she has stopped eating or drinking, has stopped getting up - she now poops right where she is laying down, and her poops have turned into either very liquidy or sticky diarrhea (very smelly too). She was no longer making any sounds either.
Since about Tuesday, I realized that she was not eating and that I need to force feed her, so I've been syringe-feeding her, giving her water with electrolytes, and alternating egg (either raw or scrambled), some groud beef, and their usual fermented feed mash. I also have to bathe her in a bucket to wash off the poop, since she doesn't get up to poop.
In the last few days I feel like she's a little bit more active in that she will try to flap her wings and fight me a little when I feed/bathe her, she'll occasionally squak when I handle her, but when I put her down she just lays there, not moving. She's still not eating or drinking herself. And her paws seem almost atrophied. I tried to make her stand up on her legs this morning, and she just won't.

I've been studying the Chicken Health Handbook, and reading online, and I just can't figure it out. It doesn't seem viral (the rest of the flock seems fine too), it seems unlikely to be something environmental (we moved them into their brand new coop&run 3 weeks ago, with fresh hemp bedding, and everything else brand new. Before that they were also in a brand new, but much smaller coop. They definitely have enough space for the number of birds. The run & coop are predator-proof.) But the wounds she does have seem inconsistent with her completely lethargic state, the awful diarrhea, and the inability to use her legs (she was still walking around last weekend).
Honestly, symptoms seem to match the worm parasite symptoms listed in the Chicken Health Handbook, but it just doesn't feel like the right diagnosis to me (though, what do I know, I've only had chickens for 12 wks). But: I've had them on Molly's Herbal formula for 6-7weeks now, the rest of the chickens seem totally fine, and the blood on the comb+wound in her side is throwing me off in terms of the worms diagnosis.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Do I keep doing what I've been doing? How long does it typically take chickens to recover (am I just being impatient)?

I've been reading stories online about chickens recovering from the worst of wounds, and it seems like they are up and eating/drinking almost right away, while my chicken has a (seemingly) light wound and can't even get up to poop...

Thank you in advance for the help!

I'm sorry about your hen :hugs

One of mine was attacked by an owl just over a week ago. The first few days he layed there. He didn't eat anything for 2 days. He was also hardly drinking. Someone told me that the white runny poop means he was dehydrated. So, it's really important that your hen is getting water. It's good you're giving her electrolytes and egg is very good for them. Be careful when forcefeeding so that she doesn't aspirate. Mine still isn't completely back to his old self. I've had a bird that was eating and drinking great, but it took months for her behavior to return to normal.

It's possible that she has parasites, but those symptoms are symptoms of a lot of different things. I don't think it would hurt to deworm her.

The most important thing is probably to keep her hydrated. I'm not an expert though. I hope someone else is able to help better. I hope she snaps out of it.

So, it's really important that your hen is getting water. It's good you're giving her electrolytes and egg is very good for them. Be careful when forcefeeding so that she doesn't aspirate.
I don't think people realize how easy it could be to screw this up horribly. I know I didn't, but thankfully I wasted a dose learning rather than getting it down her windpipe.

Thank you all for the responses!
Attached are a picture of her poop (which has gotten a bit more solid) and her wound.
What do you think?
She seems to be doing a tiny bit better, but I really worry about her legs - why is she not using them? She's able to flap her wings, but her legs feel completely useless.

As for aspirating food or water - is it obvious when it happens, or is it one of those silent things that develop into something bad later?

Chickens will bully weak members of the flock so my first thought is that she has been sick for awhile and the others are beating her up, hence the injuries, but the wounds are not the actual problem.
I would be very surprised if she was pecked by others... I have not ever seen any of them being mean to each other. And the wound is on her side, kind of under the wing - a very odd place for other chickens to peck. But I guess I can't completely rule it out since I haven't been watching them 100% of the time.

Does her crop feel empty first thing in the morning?
Her crop feels soft, and like there's not much in there, so I guess you could say it's empty. But I have to admit that I'm not great at feeling their crops. I was trying to feel one of the healthy chicken's crop and couldn't say with certainty that I found it (unless it was also kind of empty and soft.)

Attachments

• IMG_4246.JPEG
    IMG_4246.JPEG
    641.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4247.JPEG
    IMG_4247.JPEG
    462.8 KB · Views: 7
Her crop feels soft, and like there's not much in there, so I guess you could say it's empty. But I have to admit that I'm not great at feeling their crops. I was trying to feel one of the healthy chicken's crop and couldn't say with certainty that I found it (unless it was also kind of empty and soft.)
The crop should feel like that in the morning. The poop is a little runny, but doesn't really seem that bad.

Under the wing is a weird spot for an injury. Is there anything she could have gotten caught on? You're right, the wound doesn't really seem that bad. You should put an antibiotic cream, or neosporin, on it twice a day.

I'm not really sure why she won't use her legs. There could be nerve damage, or she could be in a lot of pain and just not want to stand. If you have any 81mg baby aspirin you could give her one and see if it helps. You can find an exact dose if you search it on BYC.

That is an unusual place for an injury and does look more like a bad scrape than anything else to me. Did you rinse and clean it with anything (veterycin, antibiotic ointment, etc)? It looks quite black around the edges to me which could be an infection. I don't have much experience with wounds though so hopefully someone else will chime in.

As for not standing, check her legs and feet over thoroughly for any signs of injury or swelling. Are her feet warm and a normal color? When you pick her up do her legs dangle or stay tucked up? If you press a finger to the pad of her foot and bend her leg does she curl her toes? Try to determine whether she is paralyzed (no muscle control) or she just doesn't have the strength to stand. Could be Marek's if she seems paralyzed, but unlikely if your birds were vaccinated. Could also have been some injury to her spine when she was hurt.

Poop pic looks ok to me all things considered.... Any changes to her comb?

Not a good sign if she doesn't have an appetite. (She won't eat tasty treats put in front of her?) But also doesn't help to narrow down the issue much. Keep trying to make sure she gets some nutrition and stays hydrated. You'd know if she was aspirating the same way you know when someone at the dinner table gets water down the wrong pipe 😉

Back
Top Bottom