Injured chicken

Chicksnkits

Chirping
Oct 12, 2018
i have a chicken with an injury on the top of her head. I can see her skull.. I cleaned the wound out with water mixed with tea tree oil and frankincense. She will be separated from the rest of the flock. Is there anything else I can do for her?? I feel awful

Attachments

• 86C75938-313E-47D5-9705-40E4A6E5E9FC.jpeg
    86C75938-313E-47D5-9705-40E4A6E5E9FC.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 5
Do you know why she was attacked? Was she smaller than others or attacked by a rooster? I would just use either plain saline or Vetericyn Wound spray on her wound. Then when it is dried, apply plain Neosporin ointment twice a day. Keep her inside the coop in a dog crate if possible, with her own food and water. Is she alert and active, eating and drinking? If not, give her some Poultry NutriDrench a few drops daily (up to 1 ml.) Mix some watery chick feed which will get more watere into her.

Don’t use tee tree oil. It’s poisonous. I would use capaiba in stead with the frankincense. It will heal with time. I had an emu with the same type of injury and she healed up nice.

Thank you... I already used the diluted tea tree but I won’t use it anymore. I read it was safe but after more research, I found it could be harmful so I really hope I didnt make the situation worse

Do you know why she was attacked? Was she smaller than others or attacked by a rooster? I would just use either plain saline or Vetericyn Wound spray on her wound. Then when it is dried, apply plain Neosporin ointment twice a day. Keep her inside the coop in a dog crate if possible, with her own food and water. Is she alert and active, eating and drinking? If not, give her some Poultry NutriDrench a few drops daily (up to 1 ml.) Mix some watery chick feed which will get more watere into her.

It could have been my rooster. We have been slowly intergrading the smaller birds but it she could have been attacked by the other chickens or rooster. She seems to be eating and drinking but she is so scared, she follows me everywhere so I’ve been holding her and keeping her warm. She is separated from all the other chickens to prevent further injuries. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom