Injured chicken

You can try working with her lifting her to judge if she is getting better or worse. The sling won’t do too much to make her walk, but if she has an injury, that might help her rest her legs to heal. At 5 months old if she was not vaccinated for Mareks, I would be a little suspicious about that. Mareks cause imbalance and may cause lameness in one or both legs, or dropping wings. It can best be diagnosed with a necropsy by your state vet if you lose her or decide to put her down.

You can try working with her lifting her to judge if she is getting better or worse. The sling won’t do too much to make her walk, but if she has an injury, that might help her rest her legs to heal. At 5 months old if she was not vaccinated for Mareks, I would be a little suspicious about that. Mareks cause imbalance and may cause lameness in one or both legs, or dropping wings. It can best be diagnosed with a necropsy by your state vet if you lose her or decide to put her down.
Thank you so much both of you! I will definitely give this a try. We look at our chickens as pets and so we just do not want her suffering. One last question though is if it was mareks wouldn’t my other silkie hens and Easter eggers be affected as well? Because they all seem fine

Marek's can be selective. There are various forms of it, and not all chickens die from it and not all exposed chickens get sick.

Being a silkie, she is more prone to neurological disorders. It's also possible she has a riboflavin deficiency. These two disorders are easily treated with vitamin E and vitamin B2 or B complex containing B2.

Give one E 400iu capsule daily directly into her beak. Every day. Give one-half to one B-2 tablet or B-complex tablet directly into her beak each day, also. You should see improvement in a week if this is not from Marek's. Buy them where they sell people vitamins.

Just a quick update. Thank you all so much! I was about ready to give up hope for this little girl and now she is sitting up straight and walking again! I’m not sure if it was the vitamins, the hair cut, the litter I was using (which I switched to straw) but one of those things was affecting her and now she’s building up her strength again

Just a quick update. Thank you all so much! I was about ready to give up hope for this little girl and now she is sitting up straight and walking again! I’m not sure if it was the vitamins, the hair cut, the litter I was using (which I switched to straw) but one of those things was affecting her and now she’s building up her strength again
Yay! Could we see a picture of the little beauty?

Back
Top Bottom