Injured chicken

Zipdot12

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2022
One of my chickens was attacked by another chicken. Her head was the only part of of her that was affected. All her feathers are gone on her head and she has a lot of cuts. Nothing really deep but her head is quite raw. I have attended to her wounds with antibiotic ointment and gave her some Nutridrench orally. I also gave her fluids with electrolytes. She is drinking a little and has only eaten a bit of scrambled egg. She doesn’t move around much and is very lethargic. I don’t know what else to do for her. Could she be in shock? And if so, how long does this last. There is no other injuries that I can see. I need some help. I‘ve never had an badly injured chicken before.

It does sound like she is in shock. Was she new to the flock, or very low in the pecking order? How old is she and the other chickens? Were any roosters or cockerels? Keep her sepearted in a quiet dim spot and offer liquids and mushy feed when she is alert enough. Water with a little sugar held up to the beak can be helpful while in shock.

Back
Top Bottom