Injured/deformed foot

Farmer Kitty

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Wisconsin
My neighbor acquired some 2 month old chicks and one pullet is walking on the top side of her foot. We are wondering if there is anything that can be done for her. Would splinting work? If so, how? Any other suggestions?
Jbadfootchiken.jpg

The foot in the background is the correct way. The one in the forground is twisted so she walks on the top side and the toes lay side by side instead of spread out. They were twitching while we were taking the pic so there is movement in them. Any ideas?

I know you can splint on young chicks, not sure if it would work on an older chick (unless it was something she could wear all the time to keep the toes straight) !!!! I cant see any harm in trying !!! She does walk on it ???? Does she have a hard time ???

Thank you. She was thinking of doing something like that with the popsicle sticks. I'm not sure if it can be corrected or not but, I guess if she doesn't try we won't know.

She had seen the chicks a couple of weeks ago and they were all fine so we are thinking it may have gotten injured.

Quote:
She walks on it-just the top side of the foot instead of the bottom. Seems a bit clumbsy. Like I mentioned above she didn't have it a couple weeks ago so, hopefully it can be corrected. She is a nice looking bird.

If she didnt notice it when she saw them last then maybe she did get injured !!!! Hmmmm, if thats the case depending on how long its been like that she MIGHT be able to help.... or at least make it better for the hen to walk !!!! But then again if the hen is showing no pain in the foot or leg and is not babying it, it might be an old/older injury !!!! Sometimes I wish chickens could just talk so they could tell us what the hell happend...

Is it just the foot or is the leg also affect above it? If it is just the foot, heavy plastic similar to a margarine tub cover might be strong enough to make the bottom of a shoe/booty. I just cut them slightly bigger than the foot. Can her toes be spread out into a normal position? If so surgical tape might hold them in postion, then wrap the whole foot with vet wrap to keep in it place. I can almost promise you she will take a nose dive the first time she trys to take a step if you try this, it takes them a while for figure it out.

I might also use vitamins to treat her, as it could be a deficiency.

Yes, her toes can be separated and put to "normal". I will pass the info about the heavy plastic on to her. It sounds real doable.

I hadn't thought about the vitamins although, I'm pretty sure she is adding some to their water. I will double check with her though.

She might want to individually treat that one bird with extra vitamins as deficiency's can take this form. Diane has posted the proper way to start and complete the treatment. If you don't find it, I will look for it when I get back from working at Special Olympics this evening.

I would give the booty a try and the vitamins and see how she ends up, I've seen worse straighten out.

Back
Top Bottom