Injured/disabled chick, need advice

Sep 27, 2019
Massachusetts
I have three 2.5 week-old chicks in my indoor brooder. One chick arrived at 1 day old with a leg injury that has not healed. It presented as a slipped tendon, and despite popping back in place, splinting and using a chick chair, the leg did not recover. I no longer use the chick chair, I just use vetwrap on the lower leg for added stability, and a sandal on her foot because her toes have started to permanently curl under. She cannot bear weight on the leg and hobbles around. Her knee has hardened and calcified so she cannot straighten it fully. She is much smaller than the other 2 chicks hatched the same day.

I'm so overwhelmed. I can't imagine a normal life for her. How will she ever climb the ladder or hop up to roost? Climb over the lip of the nesting box? Is she in pain and I just don't know it? Will I have to splint her every day for life? She is terrified of me because I'm the mean monster who messes with her leg every day.

She can eat (off the ground, not out of the feeder) and drink and poop and hobble but that is all. It's very sad and I feel very uncertain about her future. I think I'm looking for advice, or anyone with experience with a disabled chicken?

Here are my 3 (the injured one is the smallest) -

20200512_124119.jpg

I have three 2.5 week-old chicks in my indoor brooder. One chick arrived at 1 day old with a leg injury that has not healed. It presented as a slipped tendon, and despite popping back in place, splinting and using a chick chair, the leg did not recover. I no longer use the chick chair, I just use vetwrap on the lower leg for added stability, and a sandal on her foot because her toes have started to permanently curl under. She cannot bear weight on the leg and hobbles around. Her knee has hardened and calcified so she cannot straighten it fully. She is much smaller than the other 2 chicks hatched the same day.

I'm so overwhelmed. I can't imagine a normal life for her. How will she ever climb the ladder or hop up to roost? Climb over the lip of the nesting box? Is she in pain and I just don't know it? Will I have to splint her every day for life? She is terrified of me because I'm the mean monster who messes with her leg every day.

She can eat (off the ground, not out of the feeder) and drink and poop and hobble but that is all. It's very sad and I feel very uncertain about her future. I think I'm looking for advice, or anyone with experience with a disabled chicken?

Here are my 3 (the injured one is the smallest) -

View attachment 2141162
I'm sorry.
I don't really have any advice.
It's up to you on how you want to handle this poor little chick.
I think if I had such a chick, I would euthanize it. This is an article I read about how to do it that doesn't involve snipping her head off with sharp scissors.

I'm sorry.
I don't really have any advice.
It's up to you on how you want to handle this poor little chick.
I think if I had such a chick, I would euthanize it. This is an article I read about how to do it that doesn't involve snipping her head off with sharp scissors.

Thank you! I read a similar article on this method yesterday, but someone commented that there is peer reviewed literature stating that this method is less effective in chicks than in adults. I haven't researched further. I think I could handle the sharp shears, though, because it would be immediate.

I have considered euthanizing, but the guilt and uncertainty are keeping me from committing. I have read anecdotes where someone had a legless chicken who could still forage and lay eggs...or a one-legged chicken who led a happy life...I'm just not sure if my chick will have a happy, or painful life, as she continues to mature.

Thank you! I read a similar article on this method yesterday, but someone commented that there is peer reviewed literature stating that this method is less effective in chicks than in adults. I haven't researched further. I think I could handle the sharp shears, though, because it would be immediate.

I have considered euthanizing, but the guilt and uncertainty are keeping me from committing. I have read anecdotes where someone had a legless chicken who could still forage and lay eggs...or a one-legged chicken who led a happy life...I'm just not sure if my chick will have a happy, or painful life, as she continues to mature.
Well, I commented as I did not just because of the leg but because the chick isn't developing at a normal rate. To me, it seems there may be more going on here.
Those that have one legged chickens that are doing well I think the majority of the time the chicken lost the leg due to attack or injury. It's completely up to you on how you decide to proceed with this chick. And there is no right or wrong. You will make the best decision you can for the chick.

Well, I commented as I did not just because of the leg but because the chick isn't developing at a normal rate. To me, it seems there may be more going on here.
Those that have one legged chickens that are doing well I think the majority of the time the chicken lost the leg due to attack or injury. It's completely up to you on how you decide to proceed with this chick. And there is no right or wrong. You will make the best decision you can for the chick.

Yes, I think you're right that the stories I read about one-legged chickens were grown chickens who survived an attack. So this is definitely different.

I let my 3 chicks out to explore in the warm sun today. It was heartbreaking to see the others run and fly and jump and play, and she just stood there, scared and shaking and hobbling. I know she probably doesn't feel sad, it's just her life as she knows it, but I feel so incredibly sad for her.

Back
Top Bottom