Injured duck leg! URGENT HELP NEEDED!

RainInMae

In the Brooder
May 22, 2015
Hi there,

I know this is technically a chicken section but I’m looking for help in every possible place. A friend of mine went out to her ducks this morning and noticed one of her girls was not wanting to move and when she did it was with a severe limp. With a closer look she found the ducks leg to be limp, bloody, and with what her mum describes as a puncture wound.

She’s reached out to at least half a dozen vets and none can see the duck for at least another couple days and being in a rural place the drive to most any other vet would be an added hour or more to drive.

These ducks are loved pets so absolutely any helpful information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Pictures attached of Lorraine’s (duck) injury.

E17CFA78-2648-4308-B359-041DAD8D53DF.jpeg
28669397-826E-41CE-BA9E-0081EBF78C81.jpeg

I suppose it was probably some sort of predator attack. Maybe a snake bite? Until she can get her to see a vet, the most important thing is to make sure to give supportive care to the duck (aka, keep her inside in a comfortable, clean, low stress environment, with easy access to feed and water).

Have her bring it in for a nice long soak in a clean tub.
Clean it out, and apply antibiotic ointment WITHOUT PAIN RELIEF, then wrap it up with vet wrap. The kiddie pool is clean (I see it in the photo), so I don’t think it would be wrong to let it back outside. Of course clean and dry are best, but I am saying what I’d do assuming the injury isn’t actually deep.

She washed it out upon finding it and has been using poultry vetericyn every few hours to keep it clean. Most of the property is wooded and bushy so a snake or other predator wouldn’t be surprising.

I’ll pass on the help to her.

Thank you both!

Back
Top Bottom