Injured duck - Leg Was Tied - Photo attached

I love this duck, but I'm so ready for her to return to the flock. At this point though I worry about her oil gland and how soaked she was the day I let her out with the flock. Anything I can/should do to try other than more frequent baths to get her oil gland going?

I love this duck, but I'm so ready for her to return to the flock. At this point though I worry about her oil gland and how soaked she was the day I let her out with the flock. Anything I can/should do to try other than more frequent baths to get her oil gland going?
If the gland isn't blocked then frequent baths should get her preening and she'll stimulate her oil gland and begin the spreading it all over her feathers. Preening is what gets the oil spread. You may have to wait till you start getting warm days before letting her out if she risks chilling from wet feathers.

If the gland isn't blocked then frequent baths should get her preening and she'll stimulate her oil gland and begin the spreading it all over her feathers. Preening is what gets the oil spread. You may have to wait till you start getting warm days before letting her out if she risks chilling from wet feathers.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I might let her out tomorrow since it'll be in the high 50's and I'll be home well before sunset.

I let her out Tuesday afternoon. She ran away from the flock and I had to walk through the woods into waist deep water to get her.

I now have a new problem.
1f610.png

Oh my gosh the flock was after her? is that the new problem?    Poor thing and I bet that was some cold water. 

The boys were excited to see her. The girls couldn't have cared less. Homegirl hung out for a few minutes then took off down stream. The boys started to follow but realized that the rest of the girls weren't interested in moving so they stuck around.

The water certainly wasn't warm, but I've been in colder for these dang birds.

This afternoon I called the ducks and all but one came for their dinner. I went out looking and found her a 1/4 mi down stream playing opposum in a thicket by the shore.

Amazingly she's okay. When I came in behind her she scared the crap outta me because I thought she was dead. She took off upstream and back to the coop.

All in all she seems okay. I put her in her own coop for the night after bathing her and making sure her wounds weren't in need of any bandaging.

I'm thinking a hawk or owl. She's missing a whole patch of feathers on her back and It seems unlikely that she would have gotten away from something on the ground. she was definitely nestled in a good spot for keeping her safe from an arial attack, but something on the land would have had no trouble getting to her.

Thinking of changing her name to nine lives.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom