Injured Duck

Patch6713

Chirping
May 15, 2019
Upstate NY
So I have a male call duck that has seen a significant issue with his leg/foot. Two days ago I saw a slight limp while he was walking but no distress. I immediately upped the yeast in their food. Yesterday morning I saw a significant limp and slowed/decreased walking. By afternoon he wasn't walking in it at all and was trying to hop on one leg. We were able to clean his foot and didn't notice anything wrong with it. He showed no signs of distress when we palpated his foot or leg. We put him away for the day mid afternoon by himself to rest. This morning I went to check on him and he immediately flew out of his coup (not my plan). Now he is still completely unable to walk in it and it appears shriveled up for lack of a better term. He doesn't have his foot out and showing his web. I checked it again and didn't see anything and he showed no stress in palpation. Please help Michael.
IMG_20200502_135611294.jpg

Edit: Michael is about a year old.

Last edited:
Could you post a video of him walking, does his leg feel warm, any signs of bumblefoot? I would set him in a dry dog kennel for now before he damages the leg further.
I'll try and get a video. Both legs felt equally cool this morning. Both feet have what I called a callus towards the heal with the injured food being a little bigger. We cleaned it with warm water and alcohol yesterday but it didn't seem to be an infection.

he def needs put where he can't damage that leg any more than it already is. Could he have flown into anything? Just trying to get any ideas how he could have hurt himself.
There is definitely the possibility but not sure. They have been secured in their run for the days leading up to this due to heavy rains for days. He appeared fine on day, little limp the next. Not walking on it on the third day

What is in their pen? the bedding?
This run is a fenced in area with sticks and stones and a pool for them, and a bunch of chickens. They also get time when the weather is nice to free range in the woods. Their bedding is usually pine shavings but recently I added oak shavings as well.

Back
Top Bottom