Injured Duck

In case you missed my updated answer in the above post, she weighs 3 1/2 lbs. Now what?

I didn't see that, sorry. Three and a half pounds is very light. :(

The dose for Clindamycin is (25mg/ kg Orally (PO) every eight hours (TID) . The bottle you have contains 25mg of Clindamycin per ml, and she weighs near 1.5 kg. So the dose would be.

1.5 kg x 25 / 25 = 1.5ml three times a day orally.

The problem is you only have around 20ml, so you’d be using approx 4.5ml a day, therefore you’d only have enough to last you enough for about four and a half days. I believe that would be cutting the treatment short, and when using antibiotics you want to run the (Full-Course) or not all the bacteria will be killed, and some will build a resistance to the drug. That said, I don’t think I would give her any of the Clindamycin, she needs a full course of antibiotics.

Do you have anything else on hand?

I didn't see that, sorry. Three and a half pounds is very light. :(

The dose for Clindamycin is (25mg/ kg Orally (PO) every eight hours (TID) . The bottle you have contains 25mg of Clindamycin per ml, and she weighs near 1.5 kg. So the dose would be.

1.5 kg x 25 / 25 = 1.5ml three times a day orally.

The problem is you only have around 20ml, so you’d be using approx 4.5ml a day, therefore you’d only have enough to last you enough for about four and a half days. I believe that would be cutting the treatment short, and when using antibiotics you want to run the (Full-Course) or not all the bacteria will be killed, and some will build a resistance to the drug. That said, I don’t think I would give her any of the Clindamycin, she needs a full course of antibiotics.

Do you have anything else on hand?

Not antibiotic wise. Just some painkiller.

The joint has scabs which look like bite marks. It's still hot and a bit swollen. Should I wrap the joint or split it or would that just make it worse? Should I remove the scabs and let it drain? Or would that risk more infection?

I have many types of natural antibiotics ... colodial silver, iodine, oregano, olive leaf, garlic, apple cider vinegar. May take more time and may not even work, but it's all I can think of at the moment.

Yes, she is a young Buff duck we got in 2016.

Not antibiotic wise. Just some painkiller.

The joint has scabs which look like bite marks. It's still hot and a bit swollen. Should I wrap the joint or split it or would that just make it worse? Should I remove the scabs and let it drain? Or would that risk more infection?

I have many types of natural antibiotics ... colodial silver, iodine, oregano, olive leaf, garlic, apple cider vinegar. May take more time and may not even work, but it's all I can think of at the moment.

Yes, she is a young Buff duck we got in 2016.

Can you take her to a vet?

She really needs to be started on Antibiotics, and maybe an NSAID, those "natural antibiotics" are not going to cut it.

How is her appetite, is she moving around much?

Can you take her to a vet?

She really needs to be started on Antibiotics, and maybe an NSAID, those "natural antibiotics" are not going to cut it.

How is her appetite, is she moving around much?

Yes, she is eating and drinking very well. Very fiesty and hops around the cage 'kennel' she's in. She also quacks a lot! So, other than slightly swollen joint and doing a flamingo impression most of the time, she's great.

Back
Top Bottom