Injured Duck

Krosnick

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2023
Hello I am a new duck owner. One of my ducks decided to get herself stuck in the 2 gallon heated water bucket. I do not know how long she was stuck in there. Possibly a full day... She is now not standing or walking... I took her inside and dried her off. I looked over both legs and feet well, no signs of injury. Any thoughts why she still wouldn't be walking or standing?

Hello I am a new duck owner. One of my ducks decided to get herself stuck in the 2 gallon heated water bucket. I do not know how long she was stuck in there. Possibly a full day... She is now not standing or walking... I took her inside and dried her off. I looked over both legs and feet well, no signs of injury. Any thoughts why she still wouldn't be walking or standing?
How old is the duck? Do you have pictures?

Is she breathing normally, are her eyes open and alert?
I expect she's exhausted, I assume she became waterlogged?

You did the right thing by drying her off, I would keep her inside, so she can stay warm until she's feeling better.
Perhaps add some vitamins to her water (if you have nutri drench etc), and try to get her interest in some wet food, or scrambled egg. Since you don't know how long she's been in there, it's important to get her energy up with some food, if she'll take it.

If you can't see any injury, or feel any unusual swelling or heat in her legs, I expect she just needs time to recover.

How old is the duck? Do you have pictures?
I believe she is 3-4 years old. She was owned originally by a young teenager who fed her just bird seed.. She almost died from niacin deficiency when she was a duckling... The picture of her floating in the tote was last evening before I dried her off. The other two are currently. I did add electrolytes to her water just now. The picture of her floating, that left leg just is hanging there.... She can stand this morning with my help but then will fall right back over.

Attachments

• 69750159431__85DD97D8-89E0-4DB9-B749-66D73C7D94AF.jpg
    69750159431__85DD97D8-89E0-4DB9-B749-66D73C7D94AF.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5933.jpg
    IMG_5933.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5934.jpg
    IMG_5934.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 1
Is she breathing normally, are her eyes open and alert?
I expect she's exhausted, I assume she became waterlogged?

You did the right thing by drying her off, I would keep her inside, so she can stay warm until she's feeling better.
Perhaps add some vitamins to her water (if you have nutri drench etc), and try to get her interest in some wet food, or scrambled egg. Since you don't know how long she's been in there, it's important to get her energy up with some food, if she'll take it.

If you can't see any injury, or feel any unusual swelling or heat in her legs, I expect she just needs time to recover.
She is breathing normally, eyes open and alert. Yes she was VERY waterlogged :( It was about 37 degrees Farenheit when I found her stuck in the bucket. She is loving her pellets still. I will try to get her favorite foods now. I didn't even think of that!

My other lady has a gimp leg as well. She does very well getting herself where she wants to go. Should I bring her sister inside as well? I only have the two girls currently.

She is breathing normally, eyes open and alert. Yes she was VERY waterlogged :( It was about 37 degrees Farenheit when I found her stuck in the bucket. She is loving her pellets still. I will try to get her favorite foods now. I didn't even think of that!

My other lady has a gimp leg as well. She does very well getting herself where she wants to go. Should I bring her sister inside as well? I only have the two girls currently.
Yes, bringing her sister in too would be a good idea.
Poor baby, I expect her legs are exhausted, she may have strained her muscles. I'm sure she spent a lot of time trying to get out. Once she's had a chance to rest, if she's still struggling to balance, there could be something else going on.

You mentioned she used to have a severe niacin deficiency, did she fully recover? Was she fine before this incident?

I believe she is 3-4 years old. She was owned originally by a young teenager who fed her just bird seed.. She almost died from niacin deficiency when she was a duckling... The picture of her floating in the tote was last evening before I dried her off. The other two are currently. I did add electrolytes to her water just now. The picture of her floating, that left leg just is hanging there.... She can stand this morning with my help but then will fall right back over.
She's absolutely beautiful by the way

Yes, bringing her sister in too would be a good idea.
Poor baby, I expect her legs are exhausted, she may have strained her muscles. I'm sure she spent a lot of time trying to get out. Once she's had a chance to rest, if she's still struggling to balance, there could be something else going on.

You mentioned she used to have a severe niacin deficiency, did she fully recover? Was she fine before this incident?
She did fully recover from the severe niacin deficiency! We had to teach her how to swim as well. She had a rough road already and I refuse to give up on her! I will bring in her sister so they can be warm and happy together. I will reach out to local vets to see if they have any openings, just incase. Thank you for all the advise!!

She did fully recover from the severe niacin deficiency! We had to teach her how to swim as well. She had a rough road already and I refuse to give up on her! I will bring in her sister so they can be warm and happy together. I will reach out to local vets to see if they have any openings, just incase. Thank you for all the advise!!
No worries, please be sure to keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom