injured duck..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shadust1, Aug 8, 2011.

1. shadust1

shadust1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    my boyfriend's dad had brought over his two ducks from his house because we have two huge ponds n he was afraid they would get ran over on the road close to there house...so we have had them there for a couple of weeks..the one duck is holding his one leg up and and only walking on one leg...we arent sure what happened to it....so the other day they were laying on the ground n i took a container of food over near to refill there container and see if i could get a closer look at it...well it got up really slow and hobbled into the pond....its foot is gone..all that is left is strand of something and its black...i dont know how to capture it to get a better look or to take it to get checked...i feel really bad for it because it can hardly get around...goes from the pond right onto the shore to lay down...the other one is very protective of it...doesnt seem like it is in pain or anything..it was waddling its tail yesterday...i dont know...please help me...any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

boyfriends dad said it was probably a snapping turtle....great...he said to find out if it is a snapping turtle in the pond for us to go to the feed mill n buy a certain kind of bale of hay that will float around the pond and collect the algae and if there is a turtle it will climb up on top to sun bathe...ewww....thats what i will be doing...because i have two ducks that r a little over 3 months old that havent yet gotten into the pond n before they do venture into the pond im curious to see if there is a snapper in there...and get rid of it for good....

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Sounds like a snapper to me, poor thing it really does need some medical attention. Do you have a big net? maybe some of ya'll could work together and surround it so one of ya can snag it with a large net. It could get infected and that would not be a nice way to die. i hope you can catch it and get it some help, please let us know how it turns out.

3. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    [​IMG] It sure does sound like there is a snapper. Good idea to get rid of that nasty turtle!!

But yes if its possible get the leg cleaned and bandaged up by a vet that be great. Most ducks will adapt to this and can live a long healthy life. But if its infected like PP said it could cause for a very slow painful death for the duck [​IMG]

Big nets are great! You can buy them basically in any fishing store and there not to expensive.

Also if its possible to coop the ducks up I would untill you find out if there actually is a snapper.

4. shadust1

shadust1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    thanks alot for the responses...havent caught it yet...am working on it though....will let u all know....

5. kkattt

kkattt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Good luck! Keep us updated!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It's great that you are going to try to help the duck! [​IMG]

It might be best to just get a kiddie pool for the ducks and keep them out of the pond.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by