Injured eye on a duck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Khota, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Khota

Khota Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2017
    Texas
    I'm still really new to raising ducks, but one my older ducks - an adult drake seems to have attacked one of my younger 2 month old ducklings. The adult drake is currently on his own and does not have access to the other ducks.
    The duckling the drake attacked keeps shaking her head. Her behavior is mostly normal otherwise (preening, swimming, etc), but when I picked her up and looked at her eyes, one seemed to be sort of pushed downwards into the socket. Is there anything I can do to get her eye back to normal or help her out?

2. Tlmcq

Tlmcq Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Pomeroy, OH
    Can you get pics please?

3. Khota

Khota Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2017
    Texas
    [​IMG]

4. Khota

Khota Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2017
    Texas
    The duck is still walking around with the others, although she's still shaking her head and her eye looks a bit goopy. Is there anything I can do for her?

5. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Flush eye with saline (like contact lens solution) or make your own to flush it out...to start with...

Tlmcq likes this.
  6. Khota

Khota Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks for the response! Can anything else be done for her eye?

7. Tlmcq

Tlmcq Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Pomeroy, OH
    You can try some antibiotic eye drops to make sure no infection takes hold. Vetericyn is what I've used. Keep plenty of fresh clean water deep enough for her to dunk her whole bill in. Here's a you tube link to treatment as well.

8. Farmgal101

Farmgal101 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2017
    If that does not work make sure you take her to a animal doctor

Tlmcq likes this.
  9. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

THAT was an amazing video, so well done, so kind!

10. Khota

Khota Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2017
    Texas
    Sorry for the way late response! Maggie (Who has in matter of fact turned out to be a boy) has since made a full recovery. (I washed his eye out daily with saline as suggested for about a week) All my ducks seem to have integrated and get along fine now, thank you for your help everyone! :)

mobius likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by