Injured eye on a duck

Khota

Songster
Jun 4, 2017
Texas
I'm still really new to raising ducks, but one my older ducks - an adult drake seems to have attacked one of my younger 2 month old ducklings. The adult drake is currently on his own and does not have access to the other ducks.
The duckling the drake attacked keeps shaking her head. Her behavior is mostly normal otherwise (preening, swimming, etc), but when I picked her up and looked at her eyes, one seemed to be sort of pushed downwards into the socket. Is there anything I can do to get her eye back to normal or help her out?

2gwaw5j.jpg

The duck is still walking around with the others, although she's still shaking her head and her eye looks a bit goopy. Is there anything I can do for her?

You can try some antibiotic eye drops to make sure no infection takes hold. Vetericyn is what I've used. Keep plenty of fresh clean water deep enough for her to dunk her whole bill in. Here's a you tube link to treatment as well.

Sorry for the way late response! Maggie (Who has in matter of fact turned out to be a boy) has since made a full recovery. (I washed his eye out daily with saline as suggested for about a week) All my ducks seem to have integrated and get along fine now, thank you for your help everyone! :)

Back
Top Bottom