Injured Foot

Tempinrs1

Hatching
Dec 14, 2023
I have a 4 month old chicken that has had an injury for over a week now. She's been limping and resting a lot. I'm not sure if this is the same one but when I was working and took a step back, I accidentally stepped on one of their foot. When it screamed, I lifted my foot immediately. By the time I turned to look, it mixed with the crowd and I didn't think much of it then. After I noticed she's been sitting a lot, I examined her foot but saw no cuts or signs of bumblefoot (though I'm no expert in identifying bumblefoot). Nothing appeared to be broken either. I sprayed vetericyn over and under the foot anyway. Couple days in, I noticed the other hens would peck her away if she tried to eat. She had to wait until eveyone left the area. Today I set up an enclosure so she can get adequate food, treats and less movement. When I caught her to bring her into the enclosure, I noticed she had an open wound on the injured foot. I've provided a link below to the image. What's the best way to treat this? I'll keep applying vetericyn daily. Should I bandage it and if so do I need to change them daily? Would neosporin be good with bandages? Lastly, should I cut off the skin that's come off from the top? She doesn't seem to be getting worse. She seems to be able to walk a little better. Now I'd like to make sure the open wound doesn't make things worse. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

https://quickshare.samsungcloud.com/mSIZPuURMdg7

Can you provide more pictures of the foot and upload them directly to BYC so they are easier to view, please?

Clean the wound with hydrogen peroxide, then reexamine. Put Neosporin on the wound and a bandaid to deter her from pecking it. The bandaid will not stay, so make sure you find it when she takes it off. Clean her wound 2-3 times a day with a saline rinse until it heals. (Hydrogen peroxide is only for the first cleaning only, unless she gets poo in her wound.) Keep her in a clean kennel with shavings (not saw dust!) as bedding and clean any poo she does as often as possible. You want her in as clean of a place as possible. (Do to her limp, don't give her anything to perch on, not even a waterer. Give her a waterer and feeder that hooks to the side of her cage if possible.) How loose is the skin and does it appear dead? It you cut it and it's still alive, it'll be very painful and will bleed a lot. If it is dead or is a tear risk, then use a very sharp pair of nail clippers to cut it.

I looked at the picture provided, and is the spot I circled below swollen? I would examine this closer. You may have an injury there which could be a possible fracture. An x-ray would be very helpful if you can afford one.

20231214_164452~2.jpg

As far as stepping on her foot, this may or may not be the hen whose foot you stepped on. I have stepped on my chickens' feet plenty of times and never had an injury. (Carrying big feeders and waterers into coops of hungry and thirsty chickens is asking for trouble.) True, it sounds like you stepped on it with your heel and not the lighter front end of your foot like what usually happens with mine, so more damage could be caused because of that. Because of the flock's behavior, I would suspect injury more than anything, but I'll ask this just in case. Is your flock vaccinated against Marek's Disease?

Couple days in, I noticed the other hens would peck her away if she tried to eat. She had to wait until eveyone left the area. Today I set up an enclosure so she can get adequate food, treats and less movement. When I caught her to bring her into the enclosure, I noticed she had an open wound on the injured foot. I've provided a link below to the image. What's the best way to treat this? I'll keep applying vetericyn daily. Should I bandage it and if so do I need to change them daily? Would neosporin be good with bandages? Lastly, should I cut off the skin that's come off from the top? She doesn't seem to be getting worse. She seems to be able to walk a little better. Now I'd like to make sure the open wound doesn't make things worse.
Welcome To BYC

I'd give the foot a good cleaning with Chlorhexidine or Povidone Iodine. Pat it dry, then pack the wound with triple antibiotic ointment. Apply a small square of non stick pad to the wound, then wrap the foot with coban/vet wrap. Wrapping will help stabilize the foot and usually they are more comfortable, just check to make sure wrappings are not too tight.
Change daily for several days. Access the wound daily.

With the foot wrapped, she may be able move around better and rejoin her friends, you can try and see how that goes. If not, keep her near them so she doesn't have such a rough time with re-integration.

Back
Top Bottom