Injured goose egg [Graphic Images]

yesterDAYNE

yurkey crazy
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Apr 27, 2017
Oklahoma
This morning we discovered an egg in front of one of our mother geese that had been smashed. We grabbed it and brought it in. The gosling was still alive, but the egg shell was shattered and there was a hole in the membrane. No idea if she pecked through it herself or if something opened her prematurely. After inspecting her closer, I noticed some of the keratin was gone on one side of her beak like something had chewed it off. I applied triple antibiotic ointment with no pain relief and coconut oiled the membrane to check for veins. I peeled some away from her head to try and check anymore damage. Any bleeding I found I applied styptic powder on. After I did what I could, I put her back in the incubator to let her warm up and try to hatch naturally.

Hours later, now, I just tried to help again. Most of the veins had dried up and I wanted to make sure she wasn't glued to the egg from the blood. I peeled a lot away until I got to her legs, where I can see what I think is a yolk sack still pretty unabsorbed. Now I'm thinking she was definitely premature, and wasn't supposed to have been hatching. I left the membrane on and put her back in the incubator.

I have very low hopes of her living, I'm not too worried about her beak injury because keratin can heal. I'm worried for possible internal damage that I can't tell is there right now, but now I'm even MORE worried about the fact this baby was too early and now I've sped up the process. I feel like I needed to help in this situation, considering that the egg was heavily damaged. If anyone knows anything else I should do let me know. Otherwise it's just waiting and seeing.

Here are some images I took after helping the 2nd time.
1625704491220.png

Beak injury. :(

1625704517254.png

You can see yolk sack in between the legs.

This morning we discovered an egg in front of one of our mother geese that had been smashed. We grabbed it and brought it in. The gosling was still alive, but the egg shell was shattered and there was a hole in the membrane. No idea if she pecked through it herself or if something opened her prematurely. After inspecting her closer, I noticed some of the keratin was gone on one side of her beak like something had chewed it off. I applied triple antibiotic ointment with no pain relief and coconut oiled the membrane to check for veins. I peeled some away from her head to try and check anymore damage. Any bleeding I found I applied styptic powder on. After I did what I could, I put her back in the incubator to let her warm up and try to hatch naturally.

Hours later, now, I just tried to help again. Most of the veins had dried up and I wanted to make sure she wasn't glued to the egg from the blood. I peeled a lot away until I got to her legs, where I can see what I think is a yolk sack still pretty unabsorbed. Now I'm thinking she was definitely premature, and wasn't supposed to have been hatching. I left the membrane on and put her back in the incubator.

I have very low hopes of her living, I'm not too worried about her beak injury because keratin can heal. I'm worried for possible internal damage that I can't tell is there right now, but now I'm even MORE worried about the fact this baby was too early and now I've sped up the process. I feel like I needed to help in this situation, considering that the egg was heavily damaged. If anyone knows anything else I should do let me know. Otherwise it's just waiting and seeing.

Here are some images I took after helping the 2nd time.
View attachment 2751260
Beak injury. :(

View attachment 2751262
You can see yolk sack in between the legs.
That doesn't look good, please update us soon :(

Back
Top Bottom