Injured gosling! Help!

ringerdog0

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Well, I didn't see what happened this morning, but my dad did. I have a trio of geese that have four goslings, three weeks old today.

This morning the geese freaked out at one of the cats walking across the yard, and in the process knocked over one of their own goslings (I wish I had a better idea about what exactly happened). The gosling ended up on his back, so my dad went out to turn him back over, thinking that he would get up an walk away with his parents and siblings. Well...two hours later and he is still sitting there, peeping away since the rest of the geese left him.

So, we brought him into our basement with the heat lamp, etc. and he still hasn't moved. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, I felt around and moved around his legs a lot and he didn't mind. I squeezed his leg to see if he could feel at all, and he peeped and wiggled around some, so I think he can feel his legs. His hip joint seems loose though- my initial thought is a fracture or dislocation, but I of course am not sure.

Also, the vets in our area do not treat poultry so that is out of the picture.

Any thoughts??

Thanks much!

barnie.gif

You did the right thing by bringing him inside, but he will not do well without company of another gosling. Can you snatch one of his siblings to keep with him?

It could be shock or a very serious injury, it's impossible to know. The only thing to do is keep him comfortable, warm and stress free (thus the sibling for company). Is he eating/drinking normally?

If it is only shock, he may just sit for a few hours and then hunger and normal gosling behavior will take over and he'll start back to his usual self. He definitely shouldn't be alone, though.

If it is a leg injury, they are amazing at healing. They may not walk on a sore leg for a while. See if he'll swim in the tub and use his leg that way? Keep us updated!

Thanks-

I have one of his siblings with him that I brought in a couple of weeks ago because of splay leg, and hadn't put him back out yet. I guess there is a reason for everything...haha.

He is drinking and picking at the food and grass I gave him...I don't think I would want to eat much if I was tackled like that either!

Should I put any vitamins or electrolytes in his water?

Quote:
I agree with all of this. It needs a sibling and make sure it continues to eat and drink. You can offer it special treats like warm peas, greens, vits in the water, etc. Good luck.

Last edited:
Sure, a little molasses or vitamins in his water will help with the shock. Since he is eating/drinking, make sure he is pooping normally too. You have his siblings poop for comparison lol. Sounds like pure shock and bewilderment. Geese are very emotional. I had a gander that was chased mercilessly by one of my EX husband's dogs
somad.gif
. I found him lying in a pile in the back yard. He didn't try to get away when I approached him to pick him up. I was terrified he was injured, but looked him all over and found nothing amiss. So I sat on the floor and held him and petted him and crooned to him for a while. He was one of my original hand raised geese, and he "remembered" sitting on Mama's lap right away. He half closed his eyes and sat on my lap a long time. Then he realized he was a gander, and I took him back outside, none the worse for the wear
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom