Injured hen attempting to lay egg? Need advice.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vdavid, Jun 21, 2011.

1. vdavid

vdavid New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    My hen was injured by a horse 3 days ago. I can't tell what exactly is injured on her, but she is limping, and spreads her wings when laying down. She is eating, drinking and pooping which is a good sign. Ever since the trampling, she acts like she is trying to lay an egg, but nothing happens. I have found no evidence of a broken egg coming out of her. If she has a broken egg inside of her, will she die?

2. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    So sorry to hear about your injured hen!

It sounds like she might be egg-bound. Bring her inside asap and sit her quietly in a warm bath for a good while. If there is an egg, this will relax her muscles and hopefully help her to pass it.
    Do you have any antibiotics? If an egg is broken inside her it can very quickly lead to an infection. It doesn't sound like there is necessarily any sign of infection yet, but I'd definitely want some to hand so you can administer them quickly if you need to.
    What's her poop like?

It's important that she doesn't produce any more eggs until this is resolved, so keep her somewhere dark to stop her producing them. Somewhere warm and dark with access to lots of food and water should help with her recovery anyway.

Search the forums for 'egg bound' and 'peritonitis' to see other peoples experience of this. Hopefully someone with experience will see this soon and be more helpful [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Yes she could die. I lost a girl recently. The first time she was egg bound I could feel the egg inside her right where the vent is.I took her to the vet. he gave her a shot of antibiotics & lubed the egg inside her. I brought her home put her back with the flock 4 days later I felt no egg. Never found the egg . Anyway, I then saw her lay another egg. But never saw her lay again. I noticed she couldn't get on the roost & she was real slow not normal. Took her back to the vet & he said she had an egg broken inside her & she was running a fever. He suggested putting her down. The vet explained this problem could continue from now on & she would lead a miserable life. So, I let him put her down. Never thought I would miss a chicken but I do.

4. vdavid

vdavid New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    Thanks for your advice and comments. Her poop is normal. I will try the "warm bath" treatment this evening and keep her inside.

5. vdavid

vdavid New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    Well, Henny Penny expired some time yesterday. I was curious to see if a broken egg was the cause of death, so my husband and I did an autopsy. She actually died of internal bleeding in her chest area. I guess chickens are no match for a thousand pound horse. May she rest in peace. Thanks for your kind words and advice!!

6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I am so sorry for your loss. Sending you hugs. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    aawww. so sorry. HUGS [​IMG]

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So sad.....so sorry to hear this. She must have been hurting so terribly [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by