injured hen, bleeding and panting need advice

artsygirl

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2014
went to let my chickens out and found my brahma with her side opened and bleeding. Have her in my bathroom, to keep her separate but have no clue how to help. She'said panting as well. should I clean it? Put antibiotic cream on it?

Last edited:
This is her side

and her panting

Last edited:
My chicken got injured on the 19th. My dog got a hold of her thru the pin and yanked her feathers out..then the rest pecked and pecked at her making it worse. We soaked her in warm soapy water to clean it for a few days and lathered it up with triple antibiotic ointment. We are new to all this and just searched a bunch of stuff online and on here. Our chicks are 7 wks old. It has scabbed all up and some of scab Is starting to fall off. We have separated her from the others and have her in our laundry room and I have just put her in a metal dog cage outside when its nice out. Hope this helps

Last edited:
She looks similar to my Brahma that is recuperating from a hawk attack. If you read the thread down a bit titled "Hawk attack, graphic pics", it has a ton of info on how we treated her. She is doing well after losing most of her shoulder and upper wing. It was huge and bloody and open and she made it.

I have had distressed chickens before and they usually breathe with beaks open when they are stressed. I would keep her quiet, give her water with electrolytes and a little soft food like scrambled egg or her feed with some water mixed in and let her hang out alone for the night and assess again in the morning.

I am guessing she will be fine. You need to watch for infection and keep her wound clean. I have heard to keep wounds both wet ad dry and with our girl, we started with a dry powder dressing and then switched to Vetricyn to keep it wet after a few days.

Thanks. I was having a bit of a freak out. A week ago we had a fox attack and almost kill my buff orphington so on top of that this happens. It's rather stressful right now. Thanks for the advice.

I would think pedialyte would be ok. We have a packet of poultry electrolyte powder that we keep in our chicken first aid kit for this type of thing.

How did she get the injury?

Oh and if she will let you, I would at least run clean warm water over the injury. If you can put antibiotic ointment on, I would too. Make sure it does not have pain reliever in it though. If you can't get the ointment on her, I would get an wound spray to put on it. Where is the injury in relation to the rest of her? Will it get pooped on or will she lay on it?

The other chickens have pecked her, she's missing feathers on her back and the wound is under her right wing. The other chicken, my orphington I'm going to separate because they have pulled some feathers off her back. I was lucky when the fox grabbed her. I scared it and it dropped her and she was fine. A little limp and scared but no open wounds or broken bones. A lot of lost feathers though

Back
Top Bottom