Injured hen ,bubbly eye

aseelforsale

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 28, 2012
(WARNING IMAGE MAY BE GRAPHICAL FOR SOME)

I have a young stag that was at the bottom of the pecking order and unfortunate for my hen (that would bully him) he decided he had enough. I was oblivious to their fighting till i heard the hen making a noise. I looked and saw them fighting and went to stop it.
I was too late as the stag had damaged the poor hen. Somehow he had managed to tear chunks of skin off her head!!

I sterelised the wound and dressed it and she has been fine till today when i picked her up to notice bubbles in her eyes. Could it be that she has got a infection due to the injury? Also will the skin grow back??

(WARNING IMAGE MAY BE GRAPHICAL FOR SOME)

I have a young stag that was at the bottom of the pecking order and unfortunate for my hen (that would bully him) he decided he had enough. I was oblivious to their fighting till i heard the hen making a noise. I looked and saw them fighting and went to stop it.
I was too late as the stag had damaged the poor hen. Somehow he had managed to tear chunks of skin off her head!!

I sterelised the wound and dressed it and she has been fine till today when i picked her up to notice bubbles in her eyes. Could it be that she has got a infection due to the injury? Also will the skin grow back??

The bubbly eye could be because of injury to the eye, or the beginning sign of a respiratory disease. It might not be an infection because of the wound itself, but it could be an infection brought on by stress caused by the wound. I would purchase some Tylan50 and start treating your hen, or you could wait and see if it goes away. The Tylan50 injectable dosage for large-fowl is 1cc injected once daily into one side of the breast for 5 days. Use a small gauge needle, and alternate the side that you inject into. Don't give probiotics, dairy products, or apple cider vinegar during treatment; vitamins/electrolytes are fine, though, and will help with stress. Tylan50 also comes in a water soluble powdered form, but I don't know that dosage. I'm sure you can find the dosage by searching BYC or the Internet.

Chickens are very efficient healers, and my best guess is that the skin will grow back. I'm not sure it there will ever be feathers there, but we'll just have to see. Continue cleaning the wound daily, and your bird should be fine.

Thanks for the reply, she is healing up great the eye has cleared and amazingly the skin is growing back :-0 its grat how string these birds are!!

Back
Top Bottom