injured hen by rooster

Bad Wolf

Songster
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Bedford, NH
Advice needed asap!! This morning, my husband noticed that one of our hens has a terrible injury in the area where a rooster would be on her. The skin is ripped open, with the muscle exposed. She is not bleeding, but it looks horrible. We have brought her inside and put a saddle on her so she doesn't pick at it. When my husband found her this morning all the other chickens were pecking at the wound. It looks like it needs stitches. She is walking fine.... what should I do???? any advice is very much appreciated.

I love my roosters but am thinking of giving them away. Does anyone know of a farm that takes roosters? We have 2 roosters (were supposed to be all hens when we bought them) they are RIR, almost one year old. They are friendly to people, but hard on their hens.

sorry to hear about your hen. I had the same thing happen to one of my RIR hens last week actually but I was lucky to discover the cuts on her sides before the other chickens. Her cuts are on her sides because the rooster has already taken the feathers off of her back and his feet slide off to the side. I have a large Delaware rooster and she is rather small. You will need to keep her separated until the wound is at least closed up and I would recommend you keeping a saddle on her once shes with the flock again so you don't have this happen again. I cleaned my hens wounds with hydrogen peroxide then a saline wound wash and then finally with iodine. I've done this 2x-1x a day for the last 6 days and they've been healing well. Shes still limping a little on one foot but shes doing better. Because the wound you have is so big you may need to bandage it but without seeing it its hard to say. I have noticed that chickens heal well and rather quickly as long as you give good care and are patient. Good luck with your hens treatment :)

I also got too many roosters in my first batch of chickens I ever bought. They were supposed to be all female buff orpingtons, eight in all. I got 3 Delaware roos and one buff orpington roo. It was tough but I had to "process" 2 of the Delawares because they were too hard on the hens. I've learned that professional breeders are definitly the way to go with every kind of animal purchase.

Thank you for all your advice!
The tear is huge... it is like a pocket. I read online about stitching the wound closed so that is what I did. But after reading past posts here on backyard chickens I think I made a mistake. Now, I'm thinking I should just snip the thread. She seems to be in good spirits... she walks around the house with her diaper and saddle on, very happy and talkative. I tried to bandage it but she kept picking at it and took the gauze off so I just took it all off.
I hope she heals quickly like yours did:) Thanks again!

Stitches actually are only needed if a wound won't stop bleeding. Just let her heal up and keep her isolated, or put her with a very calm friendly chicken so she doesn't get lonely...The saddle will help to keep any other chickens as well as her from messing with her wound...You might be able to remove your roosters spurs so they can't cause too much damage. You could always eat them, or just list them on craigslist for rehoming as well.

Back
Top Bottom