Injured hen drinking and spilling a lot

ecwetzel

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 16, 2014
A raccoon got into our coop the other night and I woke up to the raccoon screaming. I ran out thinking our top hen was dead because of her feathers were everywhere, but about 5 minutes after I got outside, she ran out of the coop injured.

That was about 36 hours ago. She is now recuperating in our garage. She is sleeping a lot, but when we go in, she becomes very alert for a little and talks to us. She is missing a large patch of feathers on her chest and has a lot of bruising. She also isn’t wanting to sit down any.

Her beak is bloody and it seems to be bothering her. She didn’t eat or drink much yesterday (the first day) but now she is drinking like crazy — for a solid hour, at least. Her whole chest is drenched. Is this normal? I don’t remember them being such messy drinkers. I’m hoping she is getting water in her body and not spilling it all?

And I’m assuming it’s a good sign if she is still alert 36 hours after the attack?

Attachments

• 0544D1F0-98F1-400B-9015-0DEFC756C125.jpeg
    0544D1F0-98F1-400B-9015-0DEFC756C125.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
:hugsPoor girl! She might have some swelling that is causing her to spill her drink. Is she getting any water down. That would be my worry. As for eating that beak looks sore! Maybe put some wet feed or scrambled eggs in a deep bowl so her beak wont hit the bottom.

Good idea. I will do that tomorrow.

I really have no idea how much water she is getting. How can I even tell?

You said that she is missing feathers on the chest and is bruised, have you made sure that there is no wound there also? If the skin and crop were punctured then water could leak out the wound when she drinks. Were her eyes injured? She may not be seeing well and that could cause her to make a mess. Also I would check inside her beak to make sure nothing is preventing her from getting the water down. A mash of feed mixed with plenty of water might be easier for her for now and will help with hydration, assuming that it can go down.

Sorry about your injured hen. Is she okay today? Can you tell if her beak might be cracked or broken? She might have a head injury from the looks of all the blood. I hope that she is feeling a little better.

Thank you for checking! I definitely think she has a cracked beak, especially on one side. The eye on that side has mucous coming out of it. I'm assuming the nostril is messed up and blocked. I don't know if it is cracked there, as well, or if it is just covered with blood. Should I try to clean it?

She also isn't eating and drinking, although she seems alert. I'm force feeding her water with electrolytes today and going in search of some liquid food for her.

She has made it three days since the attack. While she is sleeping a lot, she is quite alert when we are feeding her -- talking and moving around. I'm assuming her body just needs a lot of rest right now and her sparse activity is still a good sign?

I would clean off blood and mucus from her beak. Peroxide and QTips are good for that, or use soap and water. Mix some chicken feed with a lot of water to make a tin oatmeal consistency, and feed out of a taller bowl. There is KayTee baby bird feed available at Walmart and pet stores, but chicken feed can be liquified easily. Egg is also good to feed. Baby food is another possibility. Poultry NutriDrench or other electrolytes and vitamins would be good for the next week. Hoepfully her beak will heal.

I would clean off blood and mucus from her beak. Peroxide and QTips are good for that, or use soap and water. Mix some chicken feed with a lot of water to make a tin oatmeal consistency, and feed out of a taller bowl. There is KayTee baby bird feed available at Walmart and pet stores, but chicken feed can be liquified easily. Egg is also good to feed. Baby food is another possibility. Poultry NutriDrench or other electrolytes and vitamins would be good for the next week. Hoepfully her beak will heal.

I have been giving her an electrolyte mix. I have been looking at the KayTee food online, and I'm going to go get some today.

When should I start force feeding her? The attack happened 3 days ago, and she hasn't had food since. Does her body still need time, or should I start now?

Also, how often should I force feed water and food?

Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom