Injured Hen- First Aid!! UPDATE post #20

Quote:
Some will sneak in anyway, from the eyelid. Her eyes WILL be closed when you do it; she's not going to cooperate. Hard enough for people to cooperate, believe me.

If you try to force the issue you could very easily injure her eye. Just smear a little on and leave her be; she will open and blink and that will get some on the eyeball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely being attacked dropped her immune level down a notch, if you have baby vits w/o iron might be good to put into her water for a couple days, or electrolytes if you don't have the baby vits. as far as meds [antibiotics I don't what to tell you there.]

While I was cleaning her eyes, I noticed the edge was red. Mean anything?

Her eye wasn't stuck closed this morning like it was yesterday, hopefully that is progress??

Redness = inflammation, probably because of infection. Just keep up the eye ointment, and be sure to be gentle with it.
Apply with something clean like a piece of gauze or Kleenex.

Yes, not being stuck closed is hopefully progress - or just the lubrication of the ointment.

Oh, and clean very gently, no more than you have to. Ideally with irrigation as from an eye dropper or syringe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!!! You've been very helpful!
smile.png
I'll keep up with the neosporin and hopefully see the redness start to get better soon
smile.png

question... could it be something you can't catch from another chicken?? If so, could that be a hint as to what it is?? She has been inside (alone) since the attack... before that, was with my others, but nobody else has this.

Hi hopefully that what it is just being inside immune system down a little, sounds like she's making progress keep up the good nursing. Also sorry to hear about your baby girl Rachel just read that on your post.
sad.png

awww, thank you Miss Lydia
hugs.gif

one of her eyes was stuck shut again when I came home from work
sad.png
and the other one was really wet/bubbly. *sigh*

Maybe time for some type of antibiotic, that I can't help you with, but I think theres terramycin eye ointment which is an antibiotic,. hopefully ddawn or someone more experienced can help there.

Back
Top Bottom