• Chickens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wounded

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Porpie Pie

Songster
May 5, 2021
My dog is allowed to roam free with the chickens. She has been for a long time with no issues. She's even saved them when she alerted me to a racoon that was hiding in the hay where they like to hang out. Today though I caught her 'playing' with one of my hens (meaning I know she wasn't being vicious but she sometimes doesn't know her own strength) and pulling all of her feathers out. There's quite a bit of broken skin and my hen is in shock. I have bathed her to clean her wounds and sprayed her with a hen healer. She's asleep and warm in my lap as I'm typing. What I don't understand is where all of these small black ants are coming from. I thought I got them all off when I bathed her but I keep finding them all over the towel she's wrapped in. Are they going to hurt her? Should I bathe her again? I don't want to disturb her too much if she's in shock. Thanks

Make another tub of bath water for this hen. Add table salt to the water and a little baking soda. Then bathe your hen again. This will kill the ants, if that's what they are. If these are reddish in color, rather than black, they may be mites. Lice are brownish red in color, and they should also wash away in the salt water.

You should treat your hen for shock. Mix up a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of sugar mixed in. Add a quarter teaspoon of salt and baking soda. Give it to your hen to drink. (This is different than the bath water) If she's suffering from acute shock and can't drink on her own, you need to syringe this electrolyte solution into her every hour all day until she revives.

Back
Top Bottom