Injured hen. I need help please.

Keggen

Songster
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Minnesota
One of my hens is injured somewhere around her comb, and blood has seeped all over her face. She is one of my White Leghorns and the only thing I can figure out is that the rooster hurt her when trying to mate her. I have 5 white chickens so I am not positive it is the same one, but I have seen the rooster struggle with a white one a few times. There is always a battle where she resists and he tries to force her. Not pleasant to watch but since they are chickens and he is usually a good rooster I let them be.

Well I think he may have torn her comb. I dont know what else it could be. She is very flighty and nervous so capturing her for the dog kennel was a little bit difficult. Trying to keep her still to work on her is going to be challenging.

I have Neosporin and that liquid that stains everything, I can't remember the name of it offhand. It looks like iodine but I think it starts with a B.

Can someone please tell me what I should do to treat this? Should I wash it first? Since it is her head I don't think it will be very easy and I don't want to traumatize her more. Can I just wipe the injured areas with either the liquid stuff or the Neosporin? Should I leave it open or try to bandage it somehow? Her comb usually stands straight up but I am thinking if I bandage it that will push it down un-naturally, and will be uncomfortable.... but I don't want to get it infected either.

This is so stressful for me. I just had an injured rooster and thankfully his was more minor and easier to fix.

Betadine. I am going to try to put some on her and see if I can clean her face a little.

Is there anything I can do about the rip in her comb?

How do I keep the rooster from doing this to her again, or at least to leave her alone until she is healed up?

Back
Top Bottom