Injured hen limping

Galisteo

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2022
Galisteo, New Mexico
Please help with advice. Yesterday morning noticed my hen limping. She is a one year old laying hen and hurt her right foot or leg. No bumblefoot or visible wound. Leg feels fine to touch, no heat. Slight swelling on middle toe. Separated yesterday and put her back with girls to sleep but in a seperate area so she would not jump. Big mistake because she still got out this am and the limping is worse. She is still with girls in the run but in a dog crate. Eating and drinking OK. Washed her feet and legs yesterday.
Image type is invalid for me to post video, but I will try to figure it out.

Please help with advice. Yesterday morning noticed my hen limping. She is a one year old laying hen and hurt her right foot or leg. No bumblefoot or visible wound. Leg feels fine to touch, no heat. Slight swelling on middle toe. Separated yesterday and put her back with girls to sleep but in a seperate area so she would not jump. Big mistake because she still got out this am and the limping is worse. She is still with girls in the run but in a dog crate. Eating and drinking OK. Washed her feet and legs yesterday.
Image type is invalid for me to post video, but I will try to figure it out.
To post video the easiest way is to post somewhere like YouTube and then post a link here.
If you have examined for wounds and broken bones then she just needs time.
When my Maggie hurt her leg I did not separate her and she mainly hopped along with the others and sat around more than usual. It took six weeks to heal.

Is she putting weight on the bad leg or holding it up? Does she use wings to balance? Examine leg for any green bruising, swelling, and scrapes, and foot pad for any scab of bumblefoot. Sprains can take weeks to heal with limiting activity and jumping. YouTube, Vimeo, and on similar sites one can upload a video with a link posted here.

Is she putting weight on the bad leg or holding it up? Does she use wings to balance? Examine leg for any green bruising, swelling, and scrapes, and foot pad for any scab of bumblefoot. Sprains can take weeks to heal with limiting activity and jumping. YouTube, Vimeo, and on similar sites one can upload a video with a link posted here.
Thank you for the reply. I added a video link to my other post. She is putting minimal weight on her leg, just a little to do a step-hop. I do not see any signs of an injury or swelling, so maybe it is a sprain. She is with the girls during the day, but in a dog crate. At night she sleeps inside. Trying to make her rest! Now she is eating her eggs!

To post video the easiest way is to post somewhere like YouTube and then post a link here.
If you have examined for wounds and broken bones then she just needs time.
When my Maggie hurt her leg I did not separate her and she mainly hopped along with the others and sat around more than usual. It took six weeks to heal.
Thank you. This is day 7 of separation and she wants out! She has no signs of an injury that are visible to me. I am going to let her back into the flock in a week. She is eating her eggs now 😪 and I think maybe it is because she is bored in the morning and cannot run outside.

Back
Top Bottom