Injured Hen not getting better

You're probably keeping her warm. Has she passed any droppings? If so, was it normal? I had a rooster stand up to a Bobcat going after the hens once. He had a few punctures and I gave Amoxicillin for 5 days, used Vitamins Electrolytes Plus (contains probiotic), and hand fed him mash until he was on his feet, eating on his own. Chickens love a good low sodium Tuna too in small amounts. Sometimes stress to the immune system can bring on an infection which is why Amoxicillin or Pennicillin can help. Cephalexin is good too.

Last edited:
She's actually in my bedroom and I try to keep it a little cooler so I can sleep better but it's been a bit warmer in there lately. She has pooped and it's watery but normal color. I've got a lot to work tomorrow getting stuff for her. Thank you for the information.

If she's only wanting to sleep I would personally make her nice and warm as you can. Getting her to drink is second most important... Can you set up a hospital (warming) cage?

Would tetracycline hydrochloride a good antibiotic for this? It's all we have for antibiotics for chickens that I can put in her water.

So very sorry to hear that she passed - thinking of you.

Suzie
hugs.gif

I'm sorry she didn't make it, but there are just too many things working against chickens. It's a good thing they reproduce so fast, otherwise they would already be extinct.

Back
Top Bottom