Injured hen please help!C'mon people i know somebody on here can help

ivoryhoof farm

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
PHX, AZ
:)hi I'm borrowing my moms account to get help for my little laying hen Sophina. She has been keeping in the coop and has stayed very isolated from the other chickens, I have her in a little pen with my chicks right now, and I thought she was broody but she wasn't acting broody and today I noticed that that her back was bare, but all of our hens are like that because of our roosters. So like a idiot I just took out of the coop and put with the other chickens, I was still worried though. Later, I noticed she wasn't with the other chickens so after checking our yard I went across the street because I noticed that the chickens went over there earlier. Sure enough in their favorite bush she cozily nestled down. I picked her right up and started taking her back home when i noticed some her feathers were matted near her wing when I lifted her wing there wears nasty thick and deep looking gashes. It looks like they have been reopened a few times. i think she might've gotten into a fight, or a rooster got to violent when doing his rooster business with her, I've been at school and on the weekends i've been cooped up in my room doing homework, so i haven't had a lot of time to observe them. I just cant figure out what to do, I can provide pictures if needed, I'm just worried about putting ointment on such deep cuts

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with ointment. You'd be surprised the types of open wounds that will heal on birds if given a chance.

1. get rid of some roosters if you have more than one
2. separate badly injured birds, each to their own cage if needed
3. feed well so they aren't lacking protein and picking because of this
4. once the skin heals, force a molt

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=145271

You can clean the wounds with povidone iodine and put non-pain relieving neosporin on them. I would keep her isolated until she is fully healed. Stress alone is bad for her. Others may pick at the wounds and you know the roos won't leave her alone. Hope this helps...

Thanks for the advice:bow:D it's starting to pus a little but she's in the coop for the night. I'm are looking for a good home for my favorite Roo Apollo right now he's really sweet, but Hades is a better protecter. My mom wants to put blu kote on it in the morning:celebrate.

With deep wounds, and especially since you're seeing pus, it's important to allow the wounds to heal from the inside out. No bandage for sure - that just seals the infection in. If you can get a syringe (12 cc is a good size - NO needle) and flush with a diluted (amber color) betadine solution at least twice/day, you should be able to nip the infection in the bud. Keeping her warm will help speed healing. Can you bring her inside and use a heating pad (under 1/2 her space) or a heatlamp in her little enclosure? Sounds like you caught her in time. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom