Injured Hen, Please Help

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mary631, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Mary631

Mary631 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2008
    Last Sunday my Auracana hen was attacked by a hawk. My dh chased the hawk away, but it had injured my hen. Her beak looked to be cracked slightly on the top side, her face pecked and bloody, and one eye was all bloodied. I cleand her up and her eye was shut. I brought her into the house, added extra minerals to her water that I got from the hatchery esecially for trauma and or stress. She has only eaten a small amount. I offered some soft bread and cooked green beans along with her ususal food. She seemed to have trouble picking up the pieces, she kept missing them. She did manage to eat a little bit. I dont know if this is due to her beak being sore or that the eye is still closed. It is not swollen, doesnt seem to be matted shut, but it stays closed. She seemed to be doing better but she also seems depressed.

Should I put her back outside with the rest of the flock? Would that perk her up? Or should I keep her in the cage in a qiet room? The temps will go down to mid to upper 50's this weeekend. I just dont know what is best to do for her now.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance as I value your opinions vey much.

Mary

2. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    If it was my hen, I'd doctor her up as best I could and then put her back out with the rest, at least during the day. I'd bring her in at night for at least a night or two. When she's outside, keep an eye (no pun intended) on her to insure she's able to find the water and food (she may have problems if only because she's injured) and that the others do not decide to knock her to the bottom of the pecking order.

If you put her out there and everyone goes "YAYAYA, Miss Chickie's back!" and she has no problems with the food and water situation, leave her out at night. The others will keep her company and she'll have her roost pals with her. The socializing with her friends may be just as healing as any medicine you can give her.

3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Try feeding her some grinded up mashed chicken feed with bits of bread with a syringe as that should help and let her heal those injured areas

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't put her back with the group. It will be too stressful and she might get picked on. Keep her inside. If she has a low on the pecking order friend who could keep her company and not harass her, she would appreciate that. But keep her wounds clean, put some electrolytes in her water since she's been through a heck of an ordeal and make sure she's able to eat something, even if you have to make her soft foods or a mash.

Hopefully her eye will heal. If not and she's lost sight in it, it will take her some time to adjust to looking through one eye and picking items up. Sounds like her beak must be sore too. She just needs time, to be kept warm so her body can focus on healing and not generating heat and good supportive care for her wounds. Chickens heal pretty quickly.

Wishing you guys the best for her recovery! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by