Injury

Cacham0214

Hatching
Feb 5, 2024
I had a hawk attack yesterday. She had my hen trapped against fence but flew off when she saw me. My hens cone was a little bloody but her eyes care closed now. When I open them, her eyes look fine, no injury to them but she won’t open them. Maybe swollen, maybe trauma, I don’t know????

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 28
I’m so sorry about your hen. She might be in shock. It’s super important to treat for shock very soon after the attack. Offer some electrolyte and/or sugar water. She may not want it but do to try to get her interested in it. You can try gently dipping her beak tip in it or using a dropper or syringe to put a few drops on the edge of her beak. She may show more taste for raw or scrambled egg instead. Keep her somewhere warm, semi dark and quiet away from the flock until she perks up a bit.

It sounds like you’ve checked for injuries but is it possible she has internal ones? Is her breathing okay?

Last edited:
I’m so sorry about your hen. She might be in shock. It’s super important to treat for shock very soon after the attack. Offer some electrolyte and/or sugar water. She may not want it but do to try to get her interested in it. You can try gently dipping her beak tip in it or using a dropper or syringe to put a few drops on the edge of her beak. She may show more taste for raw or scrambled egg instead. Keep her somewhere warm, semi dark and quiet away from the flock until she perks up a bit.

It sounds like you’ve checked for injuries but is it possible she has internal ones? Is her breathing okay?
I did give her a boiled eggs and some water in a syringe ..she ate. But I think you’re correct on the trauma. I hope she opens her eyes and it’s just swelling thanks for the tips

I did give her a boiled eggs and some water in a syringe ..she ate. But I think you’re correct on the trauma. I hope she opens her eyes and it’s just swelling thanks for the tips
Ugh I’m so sorry. Hawks have such power when they attack it’s hard to say what could be going on. I don’t have a ton of advice for internal injuries either, but there are some very smart people on this site that may. One of them has been tagged into your post already. I’m sure you would’ve noticed already, but you don’t seen any injuries under her wings or hidden in her feathers on her back, neck or chest area?

Not so far, but I’ll look again for injuries. She wants to be with her flock, so she’s in the nesting box and the rest are on the roost. The rooster is kind of distraught himself about it, like he doesn’t want his girls out of his sight during the day but on the roost at nite, he pecks them when they get near him. Maybe he senses her over in the nesting box.
I did go back and gave her some electrolytes. Her breathing seems fine too. She just seems traumatized and won’t open her eyes, it’s weird

Not so far, but I’ll look again for injuries. She wants to be with her flock, so she’s in the nesting box and the rest are on the roost. The rooster is kind of distraught himself about it, like he doesn’t want his girls out of his sight during the day but on the roost at nite, he pecks them when they get near him. Maybe he senses her over in the nesting box.
I did go back and gave her some electrolytes. Her breathing seems fine too. She just seems traumatized and won’t open her eyes, it’s weird
I think, not 100% sure, but I think I’ve seen on here somewhere where eyes closed can be a sign of something neurological or head trauma wise going on. Hoping someone more expert than myself can weigh in. I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping her separate and inside with you where it is warm if it is a possibility, that way you could keep a closer eye on her and keep offering her some electrolyte or sugar water regularly, too. But I know they can be happier and sometimes more calm with their flock. I’m sure everyone is pretty shook up about the attack.

I think, not 100% sure, but I think I’ve seen on here somewhere where eyes closed can be a sign of something neurological or head trauma wise going on. Hoping someone more expert than myself can weigh in. I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping her separate and inside with you where it is warm if it is a possibility, that way you could keep a closer eye on her and keep offering her some electrolyte or sugar water regularly, too. But I know they can be happier and sometimes more calm with their flock. I’m sure everyone is pretty shook up about the attack.
Gosh I hope not..I will put her in the green house where there’s hay to lay

Gosh I hope not..I will put her in the green house where there’s hay to lay
Hopefully that is not the case and she is just needing some time to recover. It sounds like you are doing the best you can for her given that there isn’t much you can see to treat. Keep up with treating for shock and making sure she’s warm and comfy.

Back
Top Bottom