injured hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HSerChickLady, Oct 7, 2012.

1. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    I found one of my hens this morning had apparently gotten beat up on while i was away yesterday and since it was well after dark before i got home i couldn't see the injury last night when i shut them in. It's on the back of her neck. Looks like someone plucked the feathers out of her and possibly picked her skin too (probably one of my older hens). I can't tell entirely what's going on with the scab that has formed. I can just see the bald patch and the scab-no fresh blood. I didn't want to pick the scab off since that's doing it's job keeping germs and filth out of the area.

She's eating fine and acts just fine right now. I watched them for a while and nobody was picking at her. Just the usual bs of the older hens running the younger one's off but nothing overly aggressive.

Wat should i do with the wound? I don't have anything on hand to treat wounds with right now-hubby threw out my Nolvasan last time he cleaned the kitchen and i haven't been able to replace it yet. I wasn't sure washing it was a good idea anyhow with it being cold today (mid 40's is all) and i don't want to encourage the scab to fall off and leave a red open area to encourage others to pick at.

Thanks for the help. THis is my first wound so i'm not sure what to do and my books have been no help.

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Do you have any regular antibiotic cream and and a vetiwrap or stretchy wrap like they use in sports and when they take blood from you?

3. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    I do have some Neosporin on hand that we use on our cuts. I can't use the Vetwrap though where this is located. The vetwrap would just cause them to pick at her more anyhow as they pick at the wierd looking wrap.

I checked it last night and this morning and there was no newly picked areas. With the scab i don't think the neosporin would do much. I think i'm just going to keep track of it and if it starts to look funky i'll take her to the vet.

4. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I just found a sick one as well, ugggg we just had a litter of pups and daddo and kids have been doing my job for the past two weeks, so today I went to spend time with them and realized Fluffy wasnt acting right and when I picked her up she is thin and extremely light, I think they werent let her eat since I moved all the feed and water into the coop for the winter, so I brought her in the lower level in a dog kennel and gave her some karo/ACV water along with some yogurt and chick starter.and she is eating it like no tomorrow. her butt has some wet runs too, so not sure what is going on : (

5. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    I just went out to shut them in and she's been picked bad again. The scab is all off and it was fresh looking still. I sprayed it with Blue Kote to kill any germs and hide the redness when morning comes. I have no room in that coop to put her in a cage to heal. We're thinking we might need to put her in the coop with my 12 weekers until she heals and then make her a part of that flock. She's 3 months older so plenty large enough to establish herself in there if we do move her. I've heard of Orpingtons being bullied pretty bad by more aggressive breeds within their flocks and i think that's what's happening. Do you think moving her is my best bet?

6. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    Sorry about your chicken. Give her some yogurt too for the runs-it'll replace some of the lost probiotics her guts need.

7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I think its best to move her... I wonder if that liquid skin would work or burn her?

8. NotYou

NotYou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2012
    Get her to relax.

9. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    I'm thinking it would burn aweful. It's pretty deep tonight in the worst spot. I'm thinking of calling the vet tomorrow and just asking if i can use nitrofurizone ointment on chickens or if i should stick with neosporin? I think if i keep it moist it'll heal better now that it's deep. At least i know that's how we treated horse injuries growing up.

10. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    who?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by