injured hen

nromero

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2015
My hen is 5 months old.A rooster picked her up by her neck and threw her.We got rid of the rooster.When he attacked her he pulled out A lot of feathers and she bled a little.Now the other hens have been pecking at the wound and I can't keep it covered she pulls everything off.I have them separated right now but the injured hen also scratches at the wound.What do I do from here?Any advice is appreciated.

she'll most likely recover, if you have blu-kote put some on and keep her separated for a few days. Our hen tour the skin of her neck last year, muscle was showing... it look horrible. We clean it the best we could and put blu-kote on it. Separated her for a few days, because chickens will peck at anything red. I would also suggest that if you can take her outside with the flock several times a day but stay with her to make sure they don't peck at her, in doing it this way perhaps they will continue to see her as one of the flock. We didn't do that with our hen last year and she had a time with them accepting her back in the flock... a lot of pecking at her, not her injury just her. One thing I realize is chickens are resilient. She'll recover just fine :)

Last edited:
one more thing, how long has she been with the flock? did you just get her and put her in with the flock? Often times they will pick at a new chicken. When adding new chickens with the flock we try to add several at a time so they have buddies to run around with. We keep them separated in the coop with a piece of bird netting, so the older gals can get used to seeing newer ones in there. They free range so the new girls can get away without injury if being harassed by the more dominant hens.

They were all hatched together and raised together.she is currently in the run and the others outside of it and they are all sitting together with just a fence in between them!they coo at her and keep her company

Back
Top Bottom