Injured hens laying multiple eggs in one day

Summer Lou

Hatching
Feb 2, 2024
Hey all!
I had my flock attacked by a coyote yesterday morning. 8 dead 😩, 2 wounded, 3 unscathed. I have the 2 wounded birds recuperating together away from the others. They’re both pretty beat up. Both have big gashes on their backs, both have had their tail feathers all pulled out, and one has a large gaping breast wound. They’re both doing quite well considering. I’m so sad to lose my little pals and one was my big old rooster who put up a heck of a fight. 💔 lots going on, but my questions are about eggs. Both girls in the same pen. No one else can get in. This morning I took a little hay off the pile in the pen to freshen up their bedding. Tonight I came to check on them and there are 5 eggs on the small hay pile I took hay from hours earlier. What is happening?! Can a shock like that cause them to drop all those eggs in one sitting? 5 eggs between 2 very wounded hens in a few hours is bonkers! Curious if anyone else has ever seen this.

They might have been 'backed up' so to speak. I'm sorry about your hens.
Thank you! They were all laying great before that, not sure if they just shot out the most mature ones and now they'll stop while they heal? I've just never seen this before.

Did all the eggs have good hard shells?
Where is this pen in relation to the rest of the flock?
Yes, they all had nice hard healthy shells, just like normal. They are all inside one room inside the barn which is separated into two pens with a tight unbreachable wire fence between them. The other 3 hens are on the other side. One is still laying as she was laying an egg when the rest of the flock was attacked outside free ranging so she wasn't terrorized at all. The other two that survived with no injuries stopped laying from the stress.

I'm not sure if it works that way, I don't think so.
I sure didn't think so, but I can't begin to fathom what's going on! Oh well, they are both doing pretty well and that's what I truly care about! They're just messing with my mind in the meantime... 😅

I sure didn't think so, but I can't begin to fathom what's going on! Oh well, they are both doing pretty well and that's what I truly care about! They're just messing with my mind in the meantime... 😅
The injuries might have kept them from laying the ready to be laid eggs and since they don't have any control over laying, the body went back on schedule. I would take it as that they'll pill through fine.

Back
Top Bottom