Injured Leg, Unable To Walk Properly

Astrohens

Chirping
Nov 17, 2023
One of our hyline brown hens has had their leg injured. I can’t see anything external but she is definitely in pain and is limping, and will usually lie down instead of standing. We don’t want to take her to the vet because of the cost, but is there any way to help her leg at home?
5A2DDC0A-FE1D-458A-871E-6FC4E38C5E63.jpeg
D0DF20FE-6588-4D6F-ACF4-5463C8778313.jpeg

See if you can make a simple sling from cloth, and place her in there. Feed and water her at least every 4 hours or sooner. You may be able to place a small shelf with feed and water within her reach,,, as she is resting. Then feel the suspected leg, to determine if there is a break, or possibly slipped tendon. She may recover on her own with the weight remover from her legs. This is worth a first try anyways. Lets see what others suggest.

image_2023-12-30_020900002.png

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,:hugs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Have you checked the pad of her foot yet for bumblefoot? When did she first start limping? If you think it is a break or fracture apply slight pressure moving your fingers slowly up her leg. If there is a break or fracture you will know because she will move her leg in discomfort

See if you can make a simple sling from cloth, and place her in there. Feed and water her at least every 4 hours or sooner. You may be able to place a small shelf with feed and water within her reach,,, as she is resting. Then feel the suspected leg, to determine if there is a break, or possibly slipped tendon. She may recover on her own with the weight remover from her legs. This is worth a first try anyways. Lets see what others suggest.

View attachment 3715056

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,:hugs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Thanks for this! I might give it a try. Just a few questions though, what is it like if the chicken wants to lie down? My injured chicken always wants to lay down. And what about laying (she‘s still laying I think)

Thanks for this! I might give it a try. Just a few questions though, what is it like if the chicken wants to lie down? My injured chicken always wants to lay down. And what about laying (she‘s still laying I think)
She lays down because has trouble/pain standing. You can make an opening in the sling to have egg drop out if necessary. Try your best. :hugs

U
One of our hyline brown hens has had their leg injured. I can’t see anything external but she is definitely in pain and is limping, and will usually lie down instead of standing. We don’t want to take her to the vet because of the cost, but is there any way to help her leg at home?View attachment 3715051View attachment 3715050
Update: she’s fine now!

Back
Top Bottom