Injured Leg

Jun 1, 2021
This poor girl got her leg hung under a board. She is about 1 month old. It appears broke or partially detached even, right above the knee joint. It’s swollen as well. Spraying it with poultry wound care and keeping water and feed with in reaching distance of her. Anything else we can do? Is it fair to keep her alive or should we put her out of her misery?

Attachments

• 07E32676-ECAF-4F54-84AE-194A17A11872.jpeg
    07E32676-ECAF-4F54-84AE-194A17A11872.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 3AEFCF6F-3942-449C-B0B7-6739E39DFB90.jpeg
    3AEFCF6F-3942-449C-B0B7-6739E39DFB90.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 6
That's up to you.

Do you have time to afford several weeks of care? Money to buy supplies to wrap and support the leg? Even after all your work, there is no guarantee that she will make it. Though if she does recover, her leg may be impaired which will make scratching and bathing harder for her. But chickens have survived with less. So, it's up to you.

I had a roo that lost one foot and the toes off the other to frostbite.. I cared for him for several months in my heated garage for the rest of the winter, and a prosthetic bandage change every week for that summer. He managed to survive 2 more years. Winter was hard on him. I only put that effort in to him because he was a sweet boy, super friendly and loved to hang out with me. Otherwise, severely injured or sickly birds are dispatched right away here.

That's up to you.

Do you have time to afford several weeks of care? Money to buy supplies to wrap and support the leg? Even after all your work, there is no guarantee that she will make it. Though if she does recover, her leg may be impaired which will make scratching and bathing harder for her. But chickens have survived with less. So, it's up to you.

I had a roo that lost one foot and the toes off the other to frostbite.. I cared for him for several months in my heated garage for the rest of the winter, and a prosthetic bandage change every week for that summer. He managed to survive 2 more years. Winter was hard on him. I only put that effort in to him because he was a sweet boy, super friendly and loved to hang out with me. Otherwise, severely injured or sickly birds are dispatched right
Definitely don’t mind putting in the time to care for her. Just hate for her to have a low quality of life, whatever that is for a chicken. I’ve seen where some get around fine with one leg…just never had one in that situation. Hoping with her being so young it may could heal and usable again. Any advice on care would be appreciated.

She should be able to fully recover. I once had a chick get caught in a rat trap. Her leg was broken. She lived for a few weeks in a large dog crate with food and water. She healed and went on to lay, scratch, and do chicken things. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

She should be able to fully recover. I once had a chick get caught in a rat trap. Her leg was broken. She lived for a few weeks in a large dog crate with food and water. She healed and went on to lay, scratch, and do chicken things. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.
Thank you! Did you do anything special or just keep her isolated?

Nothing special. Did not even wrap it. We gave her lots of love and treats. Big time guilt. I had told my DH to remove those traps. He missed one.

The only think I would recommend is keeping her comfortable (environment), clean bedding, small area to minimize movement, food and water with in reach. And patience.

Woke up this morning to a much happier looking leg! She’s still holding it up and it’s still swollen at the joint/cut area, but swelling is down and color is much better.

Attachments

• F63BFC2A-886A-44E2-8915-868C00304834.jpeg
    F63BFC2A-886A-44E2-8915-868C00304834.jpeg
    362.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom