Injured legs and problem bonding

Cluckgirl913

Chirping
Oct 12, 2021
Central Ohio, USA
My first goose adventure has not been going according to plan.
I have two 4 month old Toulouse geese that have bonded with, of all creatures, my 3 horses.
This has all been well and good until the geese showed that they have no sense of self preservation when it comes to staying out from under their feet.
5 days ago we watched in horror as both geese, sleeping in the horse corral, got trampled by my horses at play.
I thought for sure one or both was dead but with rest and supportive care they are showing a willingness to live.
I have them contained in pen in my side yard by the corral. They’ve gone from being unwilling to move at all to walking small distances and grazing, albeit with a serious limp that I imagine will always be there.
The kicker is that when I turn my horses out to pasture the geese become distressed and want to follow. I’m worried that as soon as I let them out of the goose hospital they will go right back to the horses and get stepped on again.
I think I can securely fence the coral to keep them from having easy access but I don’t know what else to do.
Any thoughts on

A. Additional supportive care for a goose with a crippled leg

B. How to discourage the cross species love affair that my geese have started?

Thank you everyone! I have been giving carprofren since I had it on hand and read that is safe for poultry as well as nutridrench which is my go to for almost any bird that is feeling poorly. I will get their little pool out so he is able to swim while he heals and I’m heartened to hear the fascination with the horses May fade with time.

You could try some Epsom salt soaks or wraps for pain and swelling and some good rest.
When I have to soak a goose foot I like to use a large deep bucket to do it that way they aren't as apt to drink the water which is also a laxative. I just put both feet and legs down into the bucket and hold onto them so they don't jump out. Hopefully, with time the leg will heal. Also swimming in a pool where he has weight off the leg but can float and swim around can help keep the muscle good while healing.

@FoodFreedomNow what do you think?

Agree with @Miss Lydia's approach - gentle hydrotherapy, helping to keep the gosling calm/confined so he doesn't aggravate the existing injury while recovering. If an avian vet is an option, they may be able to prescribe an NSAID like Meloxicam to help with the pain and inflammation, too (as appropriate).

Young geese are like puppies, so you'll obviously have to keep them away from the horses for their own safety. With time, I think they'll lose interest in them, or at least develop a healthy respect for them.

Tagging another goose person, @Goosebaby, for additional suggestions.

Best of luck!

Happy Update - it’s been one week of limited activity and access to their little pool and I cannot believe how well they’re healing! I closed off access to the horse corral so can be near the horses but not under their feet.
I plan to keep them
Confined for another few days at least to ensure they don’t reinsure themselves by flapping around like idiots.
You can see if the video that their limps have improved quite a bit!

Last update- they have made a complete recovery! The one who I think had the broken pelvis has a slightly altered gait, but most people would never notice. They are no longer allowed into the horse corral, but are able to spend time with the horses out in the pasture. Not the best photo, but you can juuust make them out laying in the sun with their horse friends 🥰

Attachments

• 59D89F57-FB57-4E24-96D8-4372FD664267.jpeg
    59D89F57-FB57-4E24-96D8-4372FD664267.jpeg
    636.6 KB · Views: 8
I am using Cosequin for horses for my Muscovy drake who just turned 12 yrs old, He had an injury that turned into arthritis and had a bad limp, a friend on here had to take one of her ducks to the vet for an injury and the vet rec Cosequin with MSM so I started my drake on some and he no longer limps. Great stuff and no prescription.
Hello, I have a Pekin that just started limping and I believe it to be arthritis. It wasn't too bad over the summer but now that it's getting colder, she's having more issue with it. I bought the cosamin ds to try (not sure if it's the same or not). How much did you give your drake and how did you get him to eat it? Any advice is appreciated. Glad your baby is better!

Back
Top Bottom