Is this a goose egg? Or a large chicken egg?

Brink

Chirping
May 24, 2023
Hello everyone! I have two geese, one goose and one gander. My goose is a white chinese and she was hatched April 11, 2023 so that would make her just barly over 24 weeks old.

I also have a variety of chickens that are the same age as her. Rhoad island reds, white and blue breasted leg horns, Speckled sussex, Sicilian Buttercup, and Easter Eggers.

Then I have a few dominiques and black sex links that were hatched about the 20th of May.

Finally I have three turkeys that were hatched about the 7th of June.

The turkeys were unsexed when I got them but I believe I have two male turkeys and one female turkey.

I was collecting eggs yesterday evening and I found a very large egg right outside the chicken coop. All oh my birds have access to the coop and also the yard so they're always going in and out. This is not the first time that I have found an egg that was not laid in a nesting box but it was the first time that I have found an egg that was just in the middle of the grassy walkway. Typically I find the eggs in a dirt nest or a horse hay nest.

I did not weigh the egg but I did measure it with a pair of calipers and it measured 2.6" long. In the photos below you will see it in my hand next to a normal large egg from one of my white egg layers. Also is a photo of it in a carton with a mix of my eggs collected at the same time.

Do y'all think this could be a goose egg? Or an extra large chicken egg?

20231007_221619.jpg
20231007_221614.jpg
20231007_221609.jpg
20231007_190730.jpg

maybe! here are 3 of my goose eggs in a one dozen large eggs carton..( I had to smash down all the center bumps to fit them)

Attachments

• D8280609-DD59-4E33-BDC5-15091600DDED.jpeg
    D8280609-DD59-4E33-BDC5-15091600DDED.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 6
My Chinese goose is laying eggs and they are exactly that large, and sometimes longer- those tend to be double yolked! I got her in the spring of '23. Smashing down the egg carton bumps is a good idea! I thought of getting plastic shoe boxes and lining them with egg crate foam- that stuff comes in different sizes. Smash and store sounds more logical. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom