Injured legs

Hmgmed

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2020
I have two hens with injured legs. Both are two and 1/2 years old. One has had a slight limp since she was a chick. The other developed a noticeable limp a few months ago. Friday they both suddenly had extreme limps and are having trouble getting around. One seems slightly better today (2 days later) the other might actually be worse. She wasn't able to get off of her perch this morning, although she got up there OK last night and the night before. I helped her down and over the course of maybe 30 minutes she ate some food and made her way across the yard to sit under a tree. She's been in that area all day (about 9 hours). I had to bring food and water to her. They're both eating and drinking. If it was just one bird, I'd assume she injured the leg somehow but two in one day like this? I haven't seen anyone picking on them. Any ideas?

Do you have video of their actions? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Photos of the hens and housing may be helpful. How high are the roosting bars?

Check them over for injury, bruising or swelling.

Attachments

• IMG_20220926_074857419.jpg
    IMG_20220926_074857419.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 5
Thank you for the video.
Poor Girl!
Looks like she's suffered injury.
Can you check to see if her joint is out of place or she indicates pain when you manipulate the leg?

Probably inconsequential, but hard to tell, looks like she has a scab near her back toe (could be dirt). She also has a scab on her left earlobe. Maybe check those out too when you get a chance.
Could she have gotten into spat with another hen? Maybe hung it up on roosting bars, hard to really know.

I've had a hen that injured her leg running into fencing. Saw it happen. She held her leg like that, her joint felt a bit unstable, so I wrapped it well and left it for a few days, checking wrappings twice a day to make sure they were on and not too tight. Then I rewrapped and left for a couple of more days. After that the wrap seemed to bother her more than help, so I left her. She roamed with a hop skip for about a month, then started putting weight on the leg. Now she walks/runs with no problems. That was my solution, but as always, if you have vet care and get an xray, that would be the best way to go.

I assume it's an injury too but what alarmed me was the fact that it happened with 2 girls on the same day. So strange. I haven't seen her fight with anyone and she's spending her days loafing on the ground with the group.

I have two hens with injured legs. Both are two and 1/2 years old. One has had a slight limp since she was a chick. The other developed a noticeable limp a few months ago. Friday they both suddenly had extreme limps and are having trouble getting around. One seems slightly better today (2 days later) the other might actually be worse. She wasn't able to get off of her perch this morning, although she got up there OK last night and the night before. I helped her down and over the course of maybe 30 minutes she ate some food and made her way across the yard to sit under a tree. She's been in that area all day (about 9 hours). I had to bring food and water to her. They're both eating and drinking. If it was just one bird, I'd assume she injured the leg somehow but two in one day like this? I haven't seen anyone picking on them. Any ideas?
You won’t know for sure

I assume it's an injury too but what alarmed me was the fact that it happened with 2 girls on the same day. So strange. I haven't seen her fight with anyone and she's spending her days loafing on the ground with the group.
Same leg on both hens?

I wonder if they got hung up in something. Maybe got chased?

Back
Top Bottom