Injured Mini duck question

mominoz

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 17, 2009
North Georgia
This is my first duck injury... I found my mini drake wedged between the pool and the side of the pen. (someone had cleaned them for me and put it back wrong allowing a small spot) Another drake was attacking him as I opened the lid of the cage to get him. Ratty drake, I had to shove him off twice.! I brought him down to the house and put him in lukewarm water and cleaned him up and fed him some lettuce. His neck is missing feathers but looks ok. He has two round red wounds (minus feathers one a quarter size , the other about 25% bigger under the flight wings) Don't seem to be bleeding , just red and raw looking , but flesh not missing.he seems to favor one foot a bit too. I put some neosporin on the wounds and put him in a small dog cage on a towel with food and water and have him in the bathroom. didn't want to put him in the dark cool garage as he was shivering when I found him .
Anything else I should do? and how long should I keep him inside? I was in the midst of sub dividing the mini pen and figure out how to divide 3 drakes and 2 girls . I have two breeds , this one has a girl duck. Would it be safe to fix his pen up and put him back with just her in a couple days or week if he seems on the mend?

You are doing just right. Keep him quite and he will likely be well soon!

If you can, let him float in your tub. It will take the weight off his leg.

Back
Top Bottom